• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fitment question about cylinder heads

Byronator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6 flex fuel
Transmission
Manual
I am looking to replace my cylinder heads on my 1999 3.0L v6 flex fuel. I found an ad of FB for some parts from a 2006 3.0L. I was wondering if this would be an exact fit. I know the v6 vulcan engine was used in both, but knowing how ford changes the smallest things on the same model vehicle, I wanted to get a second opinion. I actually just need to replace my valves because I currently have a misfire and I have decided/diagnosed it to be the valves. But I'd rather just replace the whole head with valves and everything already assembled and ready to go instead of taking all the valves out and putting all that back together again. I also damaged two holes where the valve cover bolts down on one of the heads when I replaced the valve cover gaskets recently. So I kinda have another reason to replace the whole head.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can use any "set" of heads from a 3.0l Vulcan engine, 1986 to 2008

Must be a set because of Flex fuel 3.0l heads, you need both to be gas only or both flex fuel, doesn't matter which as long as its a set, yes you can use gas only heads with your flex fuel engine, and you can still run E85 if you want

Ford also had/has a 3.0l Duratec engine, which is not at all like the 3.0l Vulcan, so can't use those heads

Only change was valve stem size which doesn't matter to fitment
And the gas only flex fuel which also doesn't matter to fitment
1999 block was changed to accept longer head bolts, but doesn't effect head fitment

Details here: https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/3_0-build.shtml

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals