• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fix up/build thread for my '85 Ranger XLS

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
That's a nice truck! Not so much the red interior but over all, nice. Some folks never aquire an appreciation for the nostalgia of an old school rig. Modern thought being whatever mainstream dictates is cool, or whatever word they use now. Being original is so 90s.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I think your kid will regret the choices at some point. I'm thinking probably sooner then later too...

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So much of this is how my 85 project is supposed to look. Looks like the same trim level. This one is 2wd, 4 cylinder, automatic, long bed, with blue interior and dual tanks. I think I've even got a similar floor situation, though hopefulyl not quite as bad. At some point the console was removed and the buckets were swapped out for a solid bench. I've got a tan set of those buckets in pretty rough shape that I can have recovered, but I'll need to find another set of seat tracks. Thanks for sending out that center console by the way, hopefully sometime this year I'll be able to get started on that project and get it installed.

Thanks! The material was super cheap, $21 plus about half a can of spray glue. Now that I’ve seen the fabric on a beater project, I might do my Explorer with the same stuff.
Local purchase on the material or online? If the latter where from. I like the way that headliner turned out and might do the same on some of mine. The 84 definitely needs recovered in blue. I even like what the PO did on the dash and passenger saide cutout.

The 99 is eventually going to need to get done to match an interior color change, planning to go all black on it's interior.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
Nice Ranger, I don’t think it’ll last very long before it sells.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Put a TRS sticker on it and bump the asking price another grand.

Seriously, that's a nice truck. You shouldn't have any trouble selling it, and good luck with the sale!

89RanBrII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger & BrII
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Ranger: 2.9; BroncoII: 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would buy it if I had a spare $3,800😫 :LOL:

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
What a shame 😑

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
What a shame 😑
I know... I wish I could hang onto it. It's a cool rig. Someone else will appreciate it, I just need my driveway back. Without venting too much this kid works at a fast food place and his shoes are coated with grease every day. Every time he gets in my truck, he wipes grease all over my floor mats. I have struggled for almost 17 years now just to get him to clean up his room, take a shower, do his laundry and not leave trash all over. I guess I am just a little bitter about that and the greasy shoes thing has pushed me over the edge... I have probably 80+ hours of my life into making this truck look decent and another 10 or so where he helped. I will have a stroke if he smears grease all over and trashes it. So I am just going to send it down the road and he can drive my beater truck once I get my '94 going... that one is so rusty and dirty already that he can't make it much worse. Win win I think... I live to see another day and the kid gets some wheels.

Local purchase on the material or online? If the latter where from. I like the way that headliner turned out and might do the same on some of mine. The 84 definitely needs recovered in blue. I even like what the PO did on the dash and passenger saide cutout.

Not available in blue from that seller but this one might work for you:

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You did a great job on turning that truck around. It should sell quick for you. Can onlyfund so much time and money into a project. I tried to get my two boys to start building a truck when they were 14.No way was that going to happen. Now they wish they would have.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Sold :cry::cry::cry:

I am really kinda sad to see it go. I know the new owner will appreciate it, I talked to him for quite a while last night, but it's weird not having it in my driveway... it was a fixture there for so long. I will miss it but I have to tell myself that I can't keep them all.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals