• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Flare Width: Bushwacker pocket style flares Vs OEM flares

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2011 FX4

So to compliment the 3" body lift, 285 tires and wheels, I'm looking at some fender flares.

Never really liked the OEM flares on the Ranger, they look like they were stolen from an F350 and glued on. A little too tall, too rounded, and don't stick out far enough. And the fake plastic "bolt heads", well, too fake.

I'm liking the Bushwacker pocket style flares, and in pictures, they "look" to stick out further than the OEM ford ones do.

http://www.bushwacker.com/fender-flares/ford-pocket-style-fender-flare-set-4-21915-02

Their specs say 1.25" coverage, so I called and asked them exactly what they meant by that. 1.25" MORE than the OEM Ford ones, or TOTAL from the metal fender.

As expected, it was TOTAL, from the metal fender.

So not knowing how much the stock ones stick out, I went and measured in a vertical line, above the centerline of the wheel, using a level on the outside edge of the fender/flare, comparing my 1994 (sitting right next in the garage) to the 2011.

On the 1994 2wd with no flares, I got 6" from the fender/hood seam out to the lip of the fender.

2011 FX4, I got 6-5/8"

SO, my question is, does that sound about right, 5/8" for the factory fender flares? I don't want to take one off just to find out, and have to put it back on again.

If my measuring and math are right, then the Bushwacker units would stick out an additional .625"

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

And lastly, I'm ASS-uming that all the mounting holes in the factory sheetmetal will be covered by the 'whackers, as the install instruction .pdf on their site shows holes with the flares off, and none with the new ones installed.

Last edited:

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There has to be several folks here with the Bushwacker pocket flares, yes?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Can't really confirm or deny this, but can give you a better way to measure. Same setup you have, but measure just above the flare horizontally out to your vertical plane. From that same spot on top the flare on the fender, measure vertically to the top of the fender, or your horizontal plane. Measuring this way on both fenders will keep your measurements more precise. I'll be most likely using the bushwacker pocket flares, either the ranger cutout or a stock replacement for a superduty series...

SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals