• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford 460 question...

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
97 F250 HD 460/e4od...

I found an RPM calculator online and was playing around. I found that with my stock 235/75/16 tires (29.9 in dia) and 4.10 rear, that when im pulling my camper with no O/D at 62-65mph im hovering around 3000rpm.

Now i had my bottom end redone at 87,000 miles and i thought it was because of coolant intrusion due to the head gaskets popping, i still think it was...but...

3000rpm is way to much for a 460 to sustain on the hwy isnt it? For hours on end?

I dont have a tach but the motor didnt seem over taxed. Do you think the calculator didnt take a lock up converter into account?

Input??

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That is about what the old non OD trucks turned on the highway. I wouldn’t think it would bother a 460.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
3000 RPM isn't really that fast. It's not ideal for the power band of today's engines, but it really isn't that high.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
That calculation sounds pretty accurate to me. 3k at 65mph with no overdrive is pretty average.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Im supposed to pull a large enclosed with a couple quads in it 6 hrs down to kentucky in a few months....

So i shouldnt worry? Lol. Furthest ive went with the camper was about 3 hrs. But there wont be as much stopping on this trip. It does have a melling hi volume pump and i run motorcraft oil.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
3k will never hurt that engine. Your wallet, on the other hand...! I towed a lot with my old '85 and it was always over 3k on the highway. More like 32-3400, although it had the 4 speed manual and no overdrive gear.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
3k will never hurt that engine. Your wallet, on the other hand...! I towed a lot with my old '85 and it was always over 3k on the highway. More like 32-3400, although it had the 4 speed manual and no overdrive gear.
I think the trailer is 18ft with 2 quads totalling about 2000lbs, figure the trrailer is another 3-3500. Thats about 2k or so less then my camper. Honestly i could pry drag it in O/D. Guess we'll see.

My camper pulls hard and is 7-7200 and ive tried O/D and it would do it, but it made me nervous. I generally dont tow over 50% capacity in O/D.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I had a slide in camper in mine - guessing it weighs 1500lbs or more and I always had my 18' car trailer behind it with my Ranger on it. I'm guessing that is somewhere in the neighborhood of 6500lbs. It was fine, no worries. Big hills were always a killer but they are with any tow rig.

Do you have a trans temp gauge? Might be a good time to install one if you don't. The E4ODs are pretty stout and you might be able to roll with O/D on if you're not hitting a lot of hills, just keep an eye on the trans temp.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Nah i aint got a trans temp gauge. Its pretty flat going though untill you get waaay down in ohio though. The place we are going isnt to far into KY (rush offroad).

I went up some pretty good hills on the west side of Mi with my camper in tow. The old 460 would pull them with the cruise on at 55 but would drop to friggin 2nd, but i could hold 55 in 3rd if i pedaled it.

decipha

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
bunches
Make / Model
too many
Engine Size
take your pick
Transmission
Manual
My credo
decipha
sounds about right to me rpm wise as well, going in to OD should drop it to about 2200. When i haul heavy loads I keep OD off until I get to cruise speed. Once im cruising on flat ground I turn OD on and sail. If i have to pass someone or go up a slope etc... i turn OD off.

I've never had any issues but I too wouldn't want to by turning 3k+ Rs for hours

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals