• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford Ranger 3.0L SHO swap

BryWink

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Honestly the 5.0 swap sounds like less work for what you get out of it to me... :dntknw:

A blower won't add a whole lot of low end torque.
I really think the 5.0 swap in a 4x4 is going to be more work, and tbh cost me a lot more in having to upgrade everything to keep it reliable. this is my daily driver, it goes everywhere from highway to the woods, so would really prefer to keep the reliability and not have a motor so powerful that it tears my truck apart. The SHO isnt much of a gain, but its enough that i wont be revving the motor at 5k to pass going up a hill, topping out at 65-70 on hills really doesnt seem safe for passing to me on a highway with a speed limit of that. keeping my stock transmission ill be keeping overdrive to keep the motor at a relatively low rpm at highway speeds, but i will then have that little extra when needed. and yes i have priced out what it would run me to do my stock 3.0l, would run me a little over 2,700 minus machine work for my motor that has over 208,000 miles, for what id like to do to it and i then go back to the fact of reliability.
this so far seems my easiest and most reliable option, and getting a good motor with 70,000 miles with everything to make it run for about $400 i think is definitly fair.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I really think the 5.0 swap in a 4x4 is going to be more work, and tbh cost me a lot more in having to upgrade everything to keep it reliable. this is my daily driver, it goes everywhere from highway to the woods, so would really prefer to keep the reliability and not have a motor so powerful that it tears my truck apart. The SHO isnt much of a gain, but its enough that i wont be revving the motor at 5k to pass going up a hill, topping out at 65-70 on hills really doesnt seem safe for passing to me on a highway with a speed limit of that. keeping my stock transmission ill be keeping overdrive to keep the motor at a relatively low rpm at highway speeds, but i will then have that little extra when needed. and yes i have priced out what it would run me to do my stock 3.0l, would run me a little over 2,700 minus machine work for my motor that has over 208,000 miles, for what id like to do to it and i then go back to the fact of reliability.
this so far seems my easiest and most reliable option, and getting a good motor with 70,000 miles with everything to make it run for about $400 i think is definitly fair.

the SHO V6 happily revs to its limiter at 7400, trust me.

Friendly F.Y.I. make plans to cut the firewall, the heads extend past the rear of the block. that's where the cam chains are.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
So from what it sounds like, is that the front of the motor was to the back of the buggy, bringing the oil mostly to the front of the valve covers and heads, so not entirely postive as to where the drain passages are, but if the passages are in the rear, or towards the flywheel. that i could see causing an issue. so with the flywheel facing the rear of the vehicle, i should only see an issue on descending very steep hills? or because of it being at a low rpm while descending then it shouldnt have am issue?
thanks,
Bryant

each head has 2 oil passages, front and rear. they are big enough that small tools can fall all the way down to the oil pan. thank God for windage trays :icon_rofl:

BryWink

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It’s been awhile money got tight and the project got put on hold.
so my stock ranger 3.0l has finally started to get some weird issues. Starting to run really rich and flooding out. Misfires randomly overheating, I’ve started looking For parts sho’s . I found one in my area that runs and drives and there’s another that has a bad clutch but I think runs, neither have a title. What would they be worth? And what all would be entailed In installing this motor. I found a forum that had almost step by step for this motor being installed, even told exact specs for the bell housing clearancing and the clutch that had to be used to run the stock trans with this motor. I do plan on when i break this stock transmission I’ve heard I can use the 4.Ol transmission internals?
Thanks
Bryant

BryWink

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Okay one guy ended up selling, there is another 1995 that has a bad clutch but I guess runs he is asking $650. Does this seem fair? Also still looking for this other post

donaldcon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a sho...

650 seems like an ok price, where you at? Id sell mine.

What are your plans for the intake? I will be putting my motor in my bii once im done racing this thing (unless you wanna buy it) and that is where im stuck at currently.

Sho throttle body is on what will be the back of the engine in a truck. And ot sticks a good 8 inches past the block

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

donaldcon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I see you mentioned the intake, somehow i overlooked that part

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals