• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Found a unicorn

silverslug

Reaction score
Make / Model
>>>
Is it a good find? Yes. So cheers to you. Is it a 'Unicorn'? Certainly not. For several reasons, but I'll use the most obvious one production numbers. 1.29 MILLION first gens produced. So even if only ONE percent were equipped similarly that is 12,900. Is it rare today? Sure, I'll call it rare, since prolly 12K have been crushed. But please stop using the 'U' word.
Personally I wouldn't even call a saleen or GT ranger a unicorn, and those are REALLY getting rare. A unicorn is less than triple digits initially produced or left in the world.

There's nothing "Unicorn" about a manual trans Explorer
/\ Truth

It's a unicorn to me because it's blue
/\ This is funny though.

4EyedTurd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Out of curiosity, how many 4 door, 5 speed, 4wd, Manual transfer case Explorers have you seen for sale in say the last year? I'm gonna guess less than 100 maybe closer to 40. I'm just curious

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
But please stop using the 'U' word.
:thefinger:

So out of that 12,900, how many do you think made it to South Dakota, survived wrecks, rust, and Cash for Clunkers? I might have the only one left!

How about a 1st gen stepside Ranger? There is one of those living somewhere about 30 miles north of me. It's even a 4x4 if I remember right. I would love to snap that one up.

I passed on an $800 1st gen Ranger GT a while back. Not really my thing. Red interior + 2.9 + FM145 + 2wd = :bad:

Out of curiosity, how many 4 door, 5 speed, 4wd, Manual transfer case Explorers have you seen for sale in say the last year? I'm gonna guess less than 100 maybe closer to 40. I'm just curious
Zero. Ever. I always look at RBVs when I see them for sale, these may be be more common elsewhere but not here I guess. Not even any in the junkyards.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Actually I've seen a few Explorer Sports with that option. ONLY in the Sports though. It seems the 4 door would be even more rare than the Sport with those options equipped, and yeah, pretty much unicorn.

So good find!

I gotta ask though, what year Explorer and..... pics?:D
'92, pics on page 1 :icon_thumby:

silverslug

Reaction score
Make / Model
>>>
:icon_rofl: I knew fourth grade level math would make somebody confused and mad. Disregard my contribution, continue missing the point, and thinking you are special on a planet of 7 billion hominids screaming through the endless universe on a one way trip to oblivion.
:icon_cheers:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
:icon_rofl: I knew fourth grade level math would make somebody confused and mad. Disregard my contribution, continue missing the point, and thinking you are special on a planet of 7 billion hominids screaming through the endless universe on a one way trip to oblivion.
:icon_cheers:
Not mad, I don't get upset about things on the internet nor do I consider pissing on other people's threads to be a "contribution." :icon_thumby:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Well, my take on it is that while 4dr Explorers with manual transmissions aren't "Common"
they are hardly "Rare"...

The 2dr Explorers are easily twice as common with manual transmissions as 4dr's are
and of the Mazda Navajo's I've seen upwards of half have manual transmissions...

As for the manual transmissions being common in the Dakotas? I strongly suspect that in the flat plains states the manual transmissions are MORE common than they are in the largely suburban and hilly northeast....

If you want to talk "Unicorns" let's talk about Bronco2's with the rather rare REAR bucket seat option...(I've personally seen 3 or 4)
or Rangers with the FACTORY INSTALLED sunroof (I've seen TWO) or 1st generation rangers with the factory snowplow prep package
(I've seen half a dozen of these)

and though it's not a "unicorn" how about a 1st gen ranger with a Factory center console with the Lamps out" warning system with the proper Pickup truck pictogram on the display? (I've actually got one of these consoles around here somewhere, it's the only one I've ever seen)

AD

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
That could very well be true, and now I'll be curious to see what state it was previously registered in when I get the title back from the DMV. I didn't think to ask the PO where it came from, he just said that he pulled it out of a field and drove it for a while before the clutch went out.

Truly rare stuff has not come my way yet. My buddy has a '88 Ranger with the high rider package, that's about the least common thing I've seen. Other than the factory lift it's really nothing special.

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
nor do I consider pissing on other people's threads to be a "contribution." :icon_thumby:
LOL Amen

I like your truck, I would have bought it too. I buy too many things LOL. I paid way too much for a 2000 SCSB in dark green because it was a SCSB in dark green. I didn't care that the motor was blown and partially disassembled It made sure I would have to put a motor in it.

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've seen a 1st gen XLT explore in the u-pull-it with an unusual combo in that it had an automatic trans like majority of explorers but a factory 1354m t-case :icon_confused: I would say more m5od/1354m explorer combos were produced then the a4ld/1354m explorers.

Also judging by the pic, looks like it had an upscale interior too with those seats & leather wrap steering wheel.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've seen a 1st gen XLT explore in the u-pull-it with an unusual combo in that it had an automatic trans like majority of explorers but a factory 1354m t-case :icon_confused: I would say more m5od/1354m explorer combos were produced then the a4ld/1354m explorers.

Also judging by the pic, looks like it had an upscale interior too with those seats & leather wrap steering wheel.
Mom's XLT had the same leather steering wheel and seat pattern (but with blue seats)

Nothing really fancy about it, power seat, windows locks, A/C, cruise, cloth seats.

Hers was pushbutton 4x4... and I once had to change the shift motor in the dead of winter in the unheated garage so the thing could get out of the driveway. :yahoo:

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
This one I got also had the leather steering wheel but I swapped it out for the normal plastic style - it was "leaking" some sort of nasty black goo, and had dripped down on the seat and floor. I imagine it was liquid filled at the factory to make it more squishy, needless to say, I'm happy it's gone.

That automatic/manual t-case combo is interesting! I wouldn't mind having that shifter boot and t-case, it would come in handy if I ever find a home for the C5 I have on hand.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This one I got also had the leather steering wheel but I swapped it out for the normal plastic style - it was "leaking" some sort of nasty black goo, and had dripped down on the seat and floor. I imagine it was liquid filled at the factory to make it more squishy, needless to say, I'm happy it's gone.
And mom's did that too.

The leather would squish around and you could re-position it where it was commonly held. I don't think it would drip but it would get on your hands.

Pretty gross really.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals