• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

four wheel drive issues

therangerofdanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
howdy this is my first thread here but i have been to this website many times before becuz i have owned rangers for four years now. my latest truck is a 99 4x4 off-road. i am having issuse with the 4WD when i flip the switch it will engage but after a while it will disengage (usually happens in reverse) but everytime i try and go to 2WD the T-case doesn't seem to fully disengage and i hear grinding noises. in the past i was able to shift to 4wd then 2wd and it would go away but that didn't happen, this time the 4wd high and low lights blinked 6 times. i am just curious what that means. i think it means *you have f'ed up your t-case* but i not sure. any help will be apprciated greatly thanks.

the ranger of danger

jrmustranger97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't have a 98 myself but I have heard that they have considerable issues with the vacuum operated hubs. AKA they love to disengage! Now there is no way to easily convert to manual hubs but these links below offer a few interesting alternatives.

Now personally I would go for the hub/axle swap as I feel that it's worth the extra effort to have the reliability of a manual locking hub. Also I'm not sold on the fact that running your 4 wheel drive constantly is OK for your truck.

Anyways, check out these links in the tech library. Everything you will find in there is quality info. Never could have put my truck together without it.

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Apr04/offroad.htm
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/99hubswap.htm

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I don't have a 98 myself but I have heard that they have considerable issues with the vacuum operated hubs. AKA they love to disengage! Now there is no way to easily convert to manual hubs
as stated above, there are now manual hub conversions avail.

Now personally I would go for the hub/axle swap as I feel that it's worth the extra effort to have the reliability of a manual locking hub. Also I'm not sold on the fact that running your 4 wheel drive constantly is OK for your truck.

couldn't agree more. Direct hubs are perfectly simple and reliable. No more worrying if your hubs will engage.

Anyways, check out these links in the tech library. Everything you will find in there is quality info. Never could have put my truck together without it.
couldn't agree more

Last edited:

jrmustranger97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

therangerofdanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks alot guys

i know running my rig in 4wd all the time is bad and i am a tech for a living so i am not to worried about the install problem is i am new to the industry and i have three codes i don't have time at work to look up
p1838: i believe this was the actuator circut failure (correct me if i am worng)
P1846 Plate A circut failure
P1850 plate B circut failure

i get the first one what are the plates in this T-case for? work is busy so i don't have time to look them up.

therangerofdanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the website not only have you made my day but at that price it's gonna be a great christmas here in MN. thanks dude

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals