• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Frame shortening question

Karcastic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Hello,

I have a 98 RWD B4000 and I would like to shorten my wheelbase to a reg cab short box length so I can use as a chassis and drivetrain donor for an older f100. I've searched everywhere and can't find out the frame differences but noticed something about the frame being two piece and riveted making shortening to reg cab shot box easier I guess... Am I right in thinking that the frames of a short box reg cab and a ext cab are the same just longer/shorter in the middle? Could I just cut out the required "unknown difference" straight frame section and use the driveshaft from a short box reg cab?

Any help or advice is appreciated

By the way I'm thinking of a 51 or 48 f100 maybe even a 53-56... Depending on the cheapest one I can find.

Karcastic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Update..

Saw the two piece location near leaf mount... The frame is not level all the way to the cab so that idea won't work. So now I'm wondering where to make the straight frame section removal cuts under the cab. Does anyone know the frame differences between the reg cab short box and ext cab short box? I'd assume the frame is just lengthened the 14.3 inch difference in wheelbase under the cab..?

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Karcastic:

The difference between regular cab short box and long box cab sections is a 6" extension to the rails just before the front spring mounts.* But, the super cab, cab section is deeper/narrower/thicker in addition to being 14" longer (8" longer than long box regular cab) than the regular cab. Maximum Side Rail Section: 7.64x2.55x.16 versus 6.54x2.89x.13

Frame is quite curved all the way along; you would be better off getting a regular cab frame to start with.

*The long box bed section is also 6" longer behind the rear wheels.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Also, have you found your other truck and then sat down and taken measurements? The F100s were bigger than the Rangers. You may find that the cab section is already the right length.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals