• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Freshmeat's Explorer EB on 34s (for now)

Freshmeat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm thinking about narrowing it 3-4", which would put it at 65-66". The benefits would be to get the spring perches to a better location as well as less strain on the front driveshaft. The biggest question is whether I want to measure and cut perfectly to get a stock shaft in there or if I just want to get the long side cut and resplined. One of my customers can do this work for me... it's just a matter of which way I want to go. with it.

out cast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
is that axle in a dakota? if so I can post a pic that would be funny... i have 2 dana 30's in a white dakota with the same bed mat. so 2 D30s = 1 D60... lol... sorry had to share

Freshmeat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
No, it was in the back of my F150. Which reminds me- I need to go rescrew the tool box back in- the axle ripped the passenger side out of the bed. Can't believe it was held in by one screw.

Freshmeat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I scored a smoking deal on some used 38.50 boggers and SXs (two of each) from a buddy. I'll pick them up in the next couple weeks. Just trying to figure out where I'll keep them until I buy a house with enough space to store them.

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 501, 7.3psd, 351c, 351w
Transmission
Manual
:icon_thumby:

BTW, don't bother with a D60 rear, you want a D70 or a 10.25" out back. 60 rears almost always have smaller shafts than a 60 front (they're D44 size, smaller than even the 8.8's shafts).
He could always use d70 rear shafts in the d60 if you bored the housing out. It wouldnt be as strong as a d70 but would help elliminate the weak shafts from the d60. Plus he already has the d60 and d70 rears are hard to find compared to a d60.

MikeWild

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991 Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
right on, glad you found a 60 for the front, although it sounds like you had to work to get it. The price was pretty decent too. Can't wait for some progree pics! :headbang:

Freshmeat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
He could always use d70 rear shafts in the d60 if you bored the housing out. It wouldnt be as strong as a d70 but would help elliminate the weak shafts from the d60. Plus he already has the d60 and d70 rears are hard to find compared to a d60.
Actually, I found the D60 before I bought the D44/D60 combo, so I talked to the guy I was supposed to buy from and he said he'd rather hang on to them if I'm not directly going to use them. I'm going to keep looking around- I want to find a rear axle with discs and a parking brake function; we'll see how it goes when the time comes.

I have the two most expensive parts in my possession- the kingpin Dana 60 front and the full set of 38.50s. Should be downhill from here, but dropping way over a grand in under a week hurts.

Next step will be to contact Ballistic Fab regarding my options for the axle brackets. Long story short, I need some sort of offset, not just straight-back brackets like I linked earlier.

I've found kingpin rebuild kits, tools, etc. The front rebuild is no big deal, nor is regearing, so I'll get to that when I get the time/parts together at the same time and in the meanwhile I'll talk to Ballistic about what we can do for a good bracket combo.

Freshmeat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Picking up the 38.50s today.

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
:icon_thumby:

BTW, don't bother with a D60 rear, you want a D70 or a 10.25" out back. 60 rears almost always have smaller shafts than a 60 front (they're D44 size, smaller than even the 8.8's shafts).
true, unless you know which 60 rears to look for. Alot of specific years came with 35spline shafts. Mine cost me $50 from pull and save in abq.

Last edited:

Freshmeat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
true, unless you know which 60 rears to look for. Alot of specific years came with 35spline shafts. Mine cost me $50 from pull and save in abq.
Hey, I know you! Haha
where can I find out which 60s had 35 splines? I tried looking a few weeks ago but didn't have much luck.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
we need pics

Freshmeat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Of what?
An axle sitting on jackstands?
A stack of tires?
Kittens wrestling in a basket of yarn?

I'm willing to provide, but I need to know what you want to see! Haha

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
all of that lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals