• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Freshmeat's Explorer EB on 34s (for now)

Freshmeat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Okay- the D35 is torn apart. I had the spider gears welded and I pulled the C-clip. Going to finish cleaning up the center section, replace the seals, then re-install it, then start replacing the U-joints (with full circle clips and 5-760X joints) on the shafts, open up the passenger beam window a bit, and grind on the inner most yoke for the passenger shaft so it can angle downward a bit more without binding.

Time for a parts store run for seals.

Freshmeat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Holy crap, those retaining rings are hard to find! I went to Home Depot, Lowe's, Advance Auto, engine parts stores, hydraulic shops... And finally found the correct external retaining rings / snap rings / full-circle clips / whatever else they may be called, for the 5-760x joints.

The O'Reilly part number is 632-118 and they're $.59 each.

I'll assemble my new 12-ton press tonight, disassemble the shafts tomorrow night, then grind/assemble them Wednesday night. Ready to get it back together to see how it performs.

Freshmeat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Pictures as requested...
(Forgive blurriness- it's crazy humid and the lens kept fogging up.)
(Forgive the wreckage- it flooded about two inches in my garage last night so I had to pull out lots of crap to throw away for fear of mold/mildew. Gotta love Louisiana...)

A stack of 38.50s- two boggers, two SXs, and one LTB (spare); these will be mounted on recentered H1s

A kingpin Dana 60 (one heavy sumbish)... Will get 5.13s or 5.38s and a 35-spline rear to match.

Here is my new toy, which I finally assembled tonight. Couldn't find time to put it together so I piled it up in my living room... which caused my fiancee to make time for me so I could get it out of the way. :D

Hope to finish prepping and assembling the D35 axle shafts this week and reassemble the whole thing this weekend. Of course, I had to test out the press as soon as I finished it. I thought it wasn't going to work at first- had a whole lot of pressure on the joint with no give, but popped it with a 6# mallet and jolted it loose. After that the other three points were a cinch.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals