• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front Suspension Woes

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello everyone!

I've not been around for awhile because my supercharged Ranger is no more and I've been driving a 2004 Explorer Sport Trac with the 4 liter V6. I really like the truck, but I've been experiencing chronic problems with the front end and I'm wondering if there is a fix . . .

I've replaced the upper and lower control arm bushings on both sides, along with the ball joints -- also on both sides. I've put a little over 100 000 kilometers on this vehicle since we bought it, and now I need a THIRD set of tires. The toe-in goes out of whack and wears the inside of the front tires so badly I can't get more than 2 years out of a set. Is this a known issue? Is there a way to fix it?

Additionally, the front brake discs warp easily. I've also replaced these twice, and they need replacing again. I like to think I'm gentle on brakes and I never had this problem with my Ranger, but the Sport Track is a front-end nightmare.

Suggestions?

Robert Luis Rabello

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Okay, it's worse than I thought . . .

The truck needs ball joints and shocks replaced. Its rear brakes aren't working AT ALL. Now I need brakes on all four corners, in addition to the ball joints, shocks and an alignment. Then, it will need a new set of tires.

I looked at replacing it with a comparable F 150, but we're looking at $60K or more for the same kind of trim package. A new Ranger up here starts at $30+, and to get something with comparable trim, it starts pushing well into the $40K range.

Grief! Vehicles are ridiculously expensive these days . . .

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Find the parts you need/want, get the part number and Google them. You'll soon find some excellent deals on them. Plus, if you're clever about it, you can find some coupons or discount codes to use as well. AdvanceAuto will have heavy discount codes available. Rockauto always has their 5% discount. Sometimes you can even get lucky with Jegs and Summit offering discounts or having sales on certain parts. I often search on Ebay and use the part number or UPC and click the box to "include description" in my search. It'll bring up a lot more listing normally.

You might also check a few forums for some parts deals in their classifieds. As well as the Facebook Marketplace and Sport Trac pages on FB.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I like NAPA's Ultra Premium rotors and their ceramic pads. Always got good service from them. Gen 1 Trac shocks were junk when they were new, let alone 15 years later. Ball joints were always a weak spot.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
My friend used to own our local Napa and he'd bring his wife's Explorer to us for repairs and supply the parts. Napa introduced a "value line" of suspension parts to compete with the likes of Autozone and he had us install one of the new "value"(read:cheap) wheel bearings to see how it would do. Three months later we replaced it with a standard Napa part. If more than one grade of part is available buy the better ones unless you need practice replacing them. Ball joints and tierod ends take a beating n every bump and turn.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals