• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fuel mileage on a 2.8

josh-the-ranger

Reaction score
i have a 83 4x4 ranger 2.8l 5 speed with 3 73 gears and 31's, im getting avg 13mpg. what kind of mpg do you guys get?

BobR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ferd
Transmission
Manual
depending on current build and condition of the motor 8 - 21 MPG.
bone stock and renning decent you should be getting around 14 - 18 if your toe is not in the carb continuosly.

Bob

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I hope for 10, usually it gets less (8-9 pretty much all around town). My truck is so screwed up I didn't think it would be fair to answer. I am durasparking it this weekend, hopefully will get into the double digits around town.

BobR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ferd
Transmission
Manual
I hope for 10, usually it gets less (8-9 pretty much all around town). My truck is so screwed up I didn't think it would be fair to answer. I am durasparking it this weekend, hopefully will get into the double digits around town.
remember the carb for best results.

Bob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
mine got 13 consistantly until i DS'd it, then it got 15, until the motor started going then it headed back down to about 12. I had the same setup as you. 85 4x4 3.73's and 31's. Dont forget to factor in your the difference in the bigger tires. So youre actually going further than your odometer says. Also, i drove the livin piss out of it everywhere i went

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
remember the carb for best results.

Bob
I will probably do the metering valve the next weekend if I don't get to it this weekend (probably won't), but yeah it will get some attention eventually too. It will be a great chance to see if we can figure out my dad's Sun machine too.

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
on my 84 b2, all manual, no A/C, i got over 25 mpg with the stock carb unplugged, no emissions controls, and the stock distributor. of course, this was with a fresh engine rebuild, no lift, stock tires, and driving like there was an egg between my foot and the gas petal. oh yeah, and never over 55mph. (hey, it was high school, half my money from steak house and construction went to save for college. the other half went toward booze, chasing women, and good times. spare change went to the rig. turned out to be a pretty good split.)

now it has 7" lift, 33" M/T's, duraspark, and holley 350 carb. i get 10 mpg on a good day. oh wait, it actually doesn't use any gas, the tank hasn't been filled in over a year. and it was last driven months ago.......

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
1984 Ranger 4x4 rebuilt 2.8 all emmissions 6" lift with 31" BFG all terrains and 4.10 gears, I usually average 17 city/highway, the best I've gotten was about 21 driving with slow accelleration and 50psi in the tires.

truckman

Reaction score
i get 19 on the highway w/ dura sparked a holley 4brl, number 51 jets, and one step below stock secoundarys spring. headers and 3.73's, 5 speed, minor 2inch lift, and 235's, oh and a cam. i've goten as good 21 out of it on a long haul doing 55. I tweaked the timming during my trips from college to home every week tell i got the best millage and decent performence. i even avaraged 14 pulling a neon home on a car trailer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals