• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel tanks and their compatibility

SmurfBlu97

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" ...ish
Tire Size
33"x10.5"R15
OK, I think I'm posting this in the right place since this is related to space around the frame, forgive me if I'm not, I have a 1997 extended cab 4x4. My 17 gallon tank is ok, but I'd like more and nobody seems to make auxiliary tanks for these. What I CAN find is the ARB 33 gallon tank for 2007-2011 rangers. Now visually I can't see much difference between the stock tanks of my truck and a third gen, so my question is, will a third gen tank fit in a second gen? If a stock one would, the ARB tank should too. I'd be really happy to double my fuel capacity since the 5.0 likes to drink.

Again, sorry if this is in the wrong place, and thanks for the help!

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Probably not, those tanks aren't for the North American Ford Ranger

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Are you sure your tank isn't the 21 gallon? Most extended cabs had the 21 gallon I'm pretty sure, my '97 4x2 has a 21 gallon tank, it shows about empty at around 17 but I've taken it to 20...

SmurfBlu97

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" ...ish
Tire Size
33"x10.5"R15
Are you sure your tank isn't the 21 gallon? Most extended cabs had the 21 gallon I'm pretty sure, my '97 4x2 has a 21 gallon tank, it shows about empty at around 17 but I've taken it to 20...
It seems to be 17, I've filled it up with the low fuel light on and it was about 16 gallons worth. Highly doubt its got 21. Regardless, I'd rather be at 33. Was just trying to see if the dimensions of the third gen tanks would fit in the second gens since I figured the frames and beds were about the same.

SmurfBlu97

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" ...ish
Tire Size
33"x10.5"R15
Probably not, those tanks aren't for the North American Ford Ranger
I knew they were an Aus company, did they have a different ranger in 2007-2011 than we had here in the States?

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Why not find a rear tank that fits between your frame rails? Jeeps had a lot of rear tank vehicles, Isuzus, Nissans, etc.

SmurfBlu97

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" ...ish
Tire Size
33"x10.5"R15
Why not find a rear tank that fits between your frame rails? Jeeps had a lot of rear tank vehicles, Isuzus, Nissans, etc.
I know guys with the long beds can fit the Bronco II tanks in place of the spare tire carrier, I've read that the extended cabs don't have room for that and it causes ground clearance issues. If you know of a certain model that fits the ext cab between the frame rails I'm all ears.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The extended cab 98+ Rangers fuel tanks are spec'd at 19 gallons. With a typical sending unit, you are refilling them with around 15 gallons due to the way the fuel sender / gauge combination reads. I put almost 18 gallons in my 09 once after I ran it "dry" before changing the fuel pump, but then that pump failed prematurely and I got to drop the tank about half full that time...

SmurfBlu97

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" ...ish
Tire Size
33"x10.5"R15
The extended cab 98+ Rangers fuel tanks are spec'd at 19 gallons. With a typical sending unit, you are refilling them with around 15 gallons due to the way the fuel sender / gauge combination reads. I put almost 18 gallons in my 09 once after I ran it "dry" before changing the fuel pump, but then that pump failed prematurely and I got to drop the tank about half full that time...
I've read the third gens are 19 gallons. Everywhere I've looked at second gens, they show 17. I just want some kind of bigger tank or an auxiliary tank that I can use with this 1997 truck. I'd love to not be stopping as much as I have to.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
My fuel light comes on (explorer cluster...) around 17 gallons but when I had the bigger non tach gas gauge it was more obvious there was more room left and I've pushed it at times :). I haven't looked if the rear tank is available in the aftermarket, I think it's around 13 gallons and just goes where the spare tire is originally, to make it easy you could just add a cheap low pressure electric pump to top off the main tank... or add a small tank in the bed and just have a 1/4 turn valve on the outlet to drop it in the main tank...

SmurfBlu97

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" ...ish
Tire Size
33"x10.5"R15
My fuel light comes on (explorer cluster...) around 17 gallons but when I had the bigger non tach gas gauge it was more obvious there was more room left and I've pushed it at times :). I haven't looked if the rear tank is available in the aftermarket, I think it's around 13 gallons and just goes where the spare tire is originally, to make it easy you could just add a cheap low pressure electric pump to top off the main tank... or add a small tank in the bed and just have a 1/4 turn valve on the outlet to drop it in the main tank...
Thats how I've seen guys run those Bronco II tanks, refilling the main tank as they drive. What does that 13 gallon tank come out of?

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Thats how I've seen guys run those Bronco II tanks, refilling the main tank as they drive. What does that 13 gallon tank come out of?
It was an option in some mid '80's Rangers, it's why there's a bump just after the drivers side bed wheel well for the rear filler neck... I haven't looked on LMC to see if that tank is available...

SmurfBlu97

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" ...ish
Tire Size
33"x10.5"R15
It was an option in some mid '80's Rangers, it's why there's a bump just after the drivers side bed wheel well for the rear filler neck... I haven't looked on LMC to see if that tank is available...
I'll look around and see if I can find one, even 13 extra gallons would be nice. I travel for work and would love to stop less on the interstate

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I'll look around and see if I can find one, even 13 extra gallons would be nice. I travel for work and would love to stop less on the interstate
The only tanks people have been able to find are rusted out as far as actual Ranger auxiliary tanks. Some have used Bronco II tanks instead but they are a bit too big and hang down below the frame. They also hold more than 13 gallons but I forget the capacity. You'll also need to figure out how and where to put the filler neck and access to it.

The Aussy tanks you speak of, I've seen pictures of them. They arch up over the driveshaft and take up the little remaining space between the driveshaft and the exhaust. Most Rangers outside of the North America tend to be diesel. So, those tanks may not be compatible with the North American Ranger. Plus diesel is less flammable than gasoline. So, if you can make it work, it will need more heat shielding to make sure the exhaust isn't a problem. This is assuming you can get one shipped to the states to begin with.

The best option we have found so far is to use a certified tank, whether it be the OG aux tank, the Bronco II tank, or a prefabbed fuel tank from other sources. Then you will need to figure out the wiring and switching to make the system work. The other option is to mount a tank in the bed and fill the existing fuel tank when needed or use Jerry cans.

Long distance travel without needing to refuel has just not been a priority in the US like it has been in Australia or Africa. So, there is no demand. We wouldn't be using gas engines either. Diesel is more fuel efficient, thus why all the overlanding vehicles elsewhere in the world use them.

If you figure something out, let us know. Some of us would like to have more fuel on board. We just haven't figured out a way to do it without either mounting a tank in the bed or major fabrication work to make a barely workable Bronco II tank work. As far as I know, no one has used any other tank from a racing application or other vehicle and made it work either.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals