• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel Tanks

F84R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Okay so I have a question for all you guys that have done the FI swap on your 2.8s.

Is there any differences between the 2.8 tank and the 2.9 tank? I know that the supercab tanks are different but for a standard cab gas tank is there any differences? Basically I want to know if I can just put the fuel pump/sending unit for an 89 ranger into my existing tank and will it work correctly?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2.9's have a low pressure fuel pump on the tank, and a booster pump on the frame rail. 2.8's only have the fuel pump on the side of the engine block. So if you go this route you will have to get creative with the pump on the tank.

F84R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
fuel pumps

the way I understand according to my sources Ford only used the two pump system in the 86 to 88 years and then switched two the single pump in the tank. but the question still stands. is there any differences between the 2.9 FI tank and the 2.8 carbed tank. internal diameter and design differences.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have an '86 tank sitting in the shed, just looking by outside appearances the basic shape and size looks the same as the tank in my '85.

Jorley

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 duraspark
Transmission
Manual
The '84 and '89 both came with a 15 gal. tank . I wouldn't think there would be any difference in them. So it should work.
All Ranger's from '83 to '90 had the 15 gal. tank except the '90 Ranger 4.0 which had a 16.3 gal or a 19.6 gal. optional. The Bll went from a 23 gal. tank to a 15 gal. in '89.

Last edited:

F84R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i thought they all had 17 gallon tanks

F84R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok then how about this then... According to carter fuel pumps and their part application guide it says that the fuel pump for a 1990 ford ranger part number P74528S this part fits rangers from 1989 through 1997 as well as for the 2.9, 2.3, 3.0 and the 4.0. would it be reasonable to assume that the gauges from these vehicles will work with this pump/sending unit. what I want to know is there a way to modify my dash gauge cluster to accept the cluster out of an 89 and up ranger into my 84 ranger standard cab? Or will the gauge out of an 86 87 or 88 ranger correspond with the new pump and sending unit? I am assuming that ford did not change the values for the sending unit and the gauge.

F84R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
will a newer fuel pump (in tank) fit onto an older sending unit? So this way I can use the cluster that will fit into my dash and still have a one pump system. I know people have swapped on the fuel injection onto their 2.8's but no one has said anything about their fuel gauges. Do they still work? Did the swap make it necessary to replace the gauge? I have run out of gas twice in two very different but very bad places and I NEED a gas gauge.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals