• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

future ranger build.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, that... :)

My build is a little abnormal in that I kept the DIS that the original engine from my truck came with because I liked it... not many people do it as they throw the whole engine in from the Thunderbird, or just throw the forged pistons in their original engine, wish I would have done that but hind sight is 20/20 :).

I went this route because it is reliable power that was a fairly easy swap (would be much easier if I did it now... I did a much better job when I put the engine back in after the rebuild), I'm keeping mine fairly tame because I need power over the whole power curve to be useful for offroad, one of these days I'll get the LA3 computer in along with an intercooler, and actually get an octane switch wired in (unknowingly had it connected for a while... knocked like heck on regular fuel)

Boosten Ya

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Ok since I am looking at making this as simple as possible how much do the 2.3T engine with harness and ecu go for?

What trans will bolt up without modification? Still deciding on if I want a 5 speed or an automatic. I'm thinking automatic for daily use but I love going threw the gears.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Do you have a truck yet? Or have a year/bodystyle/drivetrain in mind? I just ask because the year of the truck will have an effect on what needs to be done, and what the limits are. It also effects the suspension, and how easy it is to get 4wd (since you already stated you'd like 4wd).
You need to decide what is most important to you in the end result, and base your truck around that. Or just buy the best deal you can regardless of what it is, and accept it for what it is.

The 2.3T came in older vehicles with OBD1 electronic systems, so if you want the easiest swap, I'd look for a 93 or older Ranger. The problem with the older trucks, is that they have i-beam front suspensions that don't handle particularly well, have pretty poor brakes, and can only be tuned with a chip which almost nobody does anymore.

You can use a newer 98+ truck as a base that would have a better control arm suspension, and brakes, but the newer trucks have newer electronics, so you'd basically have to swap the turbo engine stuff into a newer engine. Finding a 4cyl/4wd donor truck would be difficult too since they only made a few of them between 98-00.

Boosten Ya

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Alright. No I don't have a truck. Just kind of keeping an eye out. I'd like a independent front suspension but like you said I'm looking for a good base truck so I'm not picky. Has to be extended cab tho.

4wd would be great but that would probably be further down the road. Unless I can get a great deal on a 4x4.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Just a note Ford never made a 4x4 extended cab 4 cylinder Ranger according to AllanD (I believe him, he's seen a few RBV's...)

As far as transmission choice, on the older trucks (whenever they used the A4LD) avoid the automatic transmission, the newer versions are better I believe but I don't know. As for a manual, anything '88 and up will be an M5OD which will handle decent abuse.

Engine price varies on what you find, the engine that's in my truck I got for $600 with harness and computer, didn't use much of the harness since the Ranger harness had most of what I needed. A couple years ago I happened upon a couple fairly complete engines for $250, that's with 2 harnesses, 3 computers, one stock turbo, and some other random stuff...

Boosten Ya

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Just a note Ford never made a 4x4 extended cab 4 cylinder Ranger according to AllanD (I believe him, he's seen a few RBV's...)

As far as transmission choice, on the older trucks (whenever they used the A4LD) avoid the automatic transmission, the newer versions are better I believe but I don't know. As for a manual, anything '88 and up will be an M5OD which will handle decent abuse.

Engine price varies on what you find, the engine that's in my truck I got for $600 with harness and computer, didn't use much of the harness since the Ranger harness had most of what I needed. A couple years ago I happened upon a couple fairly complete engines for $250, that's with 2 harnesses, 3 computers, one stock turbo, and some other random stuff...
Well if I find a 4.0 4x4 ext cab for a good price I'll get that and swap in the 4 banger.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
To do that engine swap, you basically need everything that touches the engine. So, a trans, engine, wiring harness, exhaust, etc (Basically a donor truck) would be needed.
I don't think the 4.0 trans will bolt to either 2.3L engine. You might need to find a trans from a 2.3 4wd, or start mixing and matching parts until you had a trans/transfer case that would work. You can switch the bellhousings out on some ranger transmissions, but not on others. I'm not an expert on what can be switched vs what cannot. Make sure you plan accordingly.

Last edited:

Boosten Ya

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Ok. Looks like 2wd it is and eventually do a swap if needed/wanted. I can get tires for traction. Lol

I think I'll just build the motor that comes with the truck and throw a megasqurit standalone on there and turbo it. And get a ranger/explorer 9" rear end.

Thank you guys for helping me and pointing me in the right direction.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals