• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Genius winter driving hack for truck owners

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Snow doesn’t bother me, I actually prefer when there’s a good few inches down on the roads because it lessens the volume of idiots on the roads

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Snow doesn’t bother me, I actually prefer when there’s a good few inches down on the roads because it lessens the volume of idiots on the roads
Well, that's one way of lookin at it. LMAO!!

Last time we had any real accumulation of snow was 2009/2010. Had a "blizzard" roll through. It was pretty rough. Not much since, a little ice here and there. Nothing to write home about.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
Perhaps it does, but it amplifies the idiocy of the remaining ones by about 10.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Lemme tell ya somethin' about my winter driving experience. Winter of 2015, my wife was out in a snow storm with her 1990 Taurus wagon, with all season tires. She came home, and told me I should consider not going out (I was planning to go to the Saturday evening service at my church), because she'd almost gotten stuck in deep snow. I thanked her, hopped into my Fit (with studded winter tires - Firestone Winterforce), and the first deep snow that I hit, I gave it a little more gas, and plowed right on through. Sure wish I could have had a set of those for the Ranger, and I REALLY wish I could buy a set now for my Taurus.

There, that's *MY* winter driving hack :D

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
MY wife's Fiesta ST with Pirelli snows is about unstoppable in snow, at least until it runs out of ground clearance.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
MY wife's Fiesta ST with Pirelli snows is about unstoppable in snow, at least until it runs out of ground clearance.
So was my Fit. For the record, I drove that car for two winters (bought it in December of the first winter) without winter tires, and then three with winter tires. The difference was like night and day.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
So was my Fit. For the record, I drove that car for two winters (bought it in December of the first winter) without winter tires, and then three with winter tires. The difference was like night and day.
Drove a Hyundai Accent GSi for 18 years, never had snows just all season tires. Used to pass trucks and SUVs crawling in the plowed slow lane all the time. If you can’t drive 4WD won’t be enough. And nothing beats a manual in snow.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Drove a Hyundai Accent GSi for 18 years, never had snows just all season tires. Used to pass trucks and SUVs crawling in the plowed slow lane all the time. If you can’t drive 4WD won’t be enough. And nothing beats a manual in snow.
Yup. 4WD only gives traction to get you going, and keep you going. It will not keep you going in a straight line, and it will NOT help you stop.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Yup. 4WD only gives traction to get you going, and keep you going. It will not keep you going in a straight line, and it will NOT help you stop.
I have always said that 4wd will not keep you out of the ditch. in some cases it can help you get out of the ditch without help tho...

AJ

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I have always said that 4wd will not keep you out of the ditch. in some cases it can help you get out of the ditch without help tho...

AJ
4wd will help most people get into the ditch... false sense of security.
I drove my Cobra on Z rated tires in a snow storm once... I almost made it to the end of my driveway. Took 15 minutes. :icon_rofl: I actually got out with it in 1st gear, tires spinning, at idle and pushed it sideways.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I will never forget driving my 2wd Ranger 100 miles in a snow storm behind a Mustang. We just plodded along in the slow lane and watched the 4x4s blow past in the passing lane only to see them stuck in a ditch a mile or two later. I learned a lot about winter driving running around in the snow belt with just a 2wd for college. Later I got a 4x4 and learned proper use of that. Now there is little that scares me.

Several years ago I was on my way home in my F-150 in 4x4 and I was in a hurry and knew I was pushing the limits of my truck and my abilities. Wasn’t right on the edge of them, but really close in a snowstorm, think I was doing about 50. Had a Jeep Cherokee blow past me like I was standing still and I yelled at him that if he went in the ditch I wasn’t stopping. As we come around a bend I can see a plow truck up ahead and a vehicle behind the plow truck. He goes rocking up behind them and tries to make a sudden jump to the fast lane at the last minute, loses control, tags the other vehicle and they both spin into the median. F@#$&*. Now I have to stop. The FAMILY in the minivan he hit said they were shook up but ok (husband, wife, two kids). The kid driving the Jeep refused to talk to anyone.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Many times simply letting off the gas(in 2WD) will stop you winding up in the ditch

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
It's always better to brake with 4 wheels than 2. A tire only has so much traction, and whatever is used to accelerate or decelerate reduces what is available for cornering (see "traction circle"). On a 2WD vehicle compression/engine braking puts all the deceleration forces on one end, rather than distributing it on all 4 wheels.

With an manual trans you can push in the clutch and instantly take all acceleration or deceleration forces off the drive wheels if it gets squirrelly, With an auto you have to feather the throttle so it's not putting any drive force on the wheels, which is slower and harder to do accurately.
circleoffriction.JPG

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals