• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Getting another Ranger, GOT IT TODAY!

dhdaniel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
4 cyl
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hello folks, been a while since I was here, I traded my tired 2006 Ranger in on a 2017 F150 STX, which is a fine truck but, time for a change.
Anyway went back to my same dealer yesterday and drove the Ranger Lariat FX4, I really liked the ride quality, smoother than my F150,
The interior was very cozy and comfortable. Its just the wife and I and she can drive this one I do beleive. We got the dollars worked out on my trade, and I left there feeling pretty good. My only request was I wanted red or Blue. These are not just sitting at every dealer, He did Locate one in Dallas. He was going to contact them monday and see what they want in trade, then they would have to transfer it down here. No big deal to me. So i haven't made a firm committment yet, Yesterday I started reading and watching video reviews. Sure seems to be mixed view on this baby. It's gonna be 38-$ 40,000. that is something to be aware of. I also drove a really nice Explorer with a 202 package, and the 4 cylinder.
Its a nice ride too. Anyway just looking for fresh comments. I am strongly considering this new Ranger.

thanks
Dave

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Post pics if/when you do pull the trigger on one. ;)

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

I've been driving around in a silver 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 for a while. It's a fun truck to drive. Especially in Sport Mode (look for the S on the shifter). Definitely not your 2006 Ranger. Heck, I start it by pushing a button on my FordPass phone app.

Last night I was checking out the adaptive cruise control, and how it automatically slows down if I come up behind a vehicle.

I've actually wheeled this at an off-road park as well.

I can't think of anything negative to say about it at the moment. It's an XLT, but has a lot of cool features. More that my 2016 Ford Expedition XLT. But if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Also, I'm just north of Dallas...

dhdaniel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
4 cyl
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Jim, PM sent

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

Rangerx2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.7 V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Always question authority
Please post pics if you buy the Ranger. The two colors you're considering are my two favorites on the options list right now. That fire red makes for a sharp lookin' truck, especially with the chrome package!
But then rednecks like me are attracted to shiny objects...;missingteeth;
Are you looking at the Super cab or the Crew cab?

Jim Oaks: Here's a question for you since you own at least two of the older Rangers and are now driving a '19; How does the new one compare to the old? Pros? Cons? Do you like the Turbo-4 or do you prefer a N/A V6? Obviously the new engine is much more powerful than the old 4.0 but aside from that... I like the old Rangers because they were simple and rugged. They were over-engineered and were built like an F-350 except on a smaller scale! Does the '19 have that same rugged, over-engineered feel? Today's vehicles are anything but simple. IMO they're becoming too sophisticated for long-term durability. I worry about all of the sensitive electronics holding up and remaining reliable over the course of 10-15 years and 150-200k. Is this a legitimate concern or am I being over-paranoid? Is it tin-foil hat time or am I just being grumpy because the 90's ain't coming back? LOL
Of course we won't know how well this new truck will hold up as it gets older until it does start to get older. We won't know these answers until a few of them start to get some real miles on them and get beyond factory warranty. Engineers can test these things all they want but if they really want to know the breaking point of certain component-systems the vehicle needs to get in the ever-careless hands of John Q. Public. He can break anything!

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
When I was driving the 2019 yesterday, I had (4) thoughts that came in to my head:

1) The power the engine has still surprises me.

2) I can see the 2019 Ranger lowered and modified in to a sporty truck that would be a blast to drive.

3) I wished I had the 2019 drivetrain in my 1996 Ranger 4x4, which quickly turned in to wishing the 2019 Ranger had the 1983-1997 TTB suspension instead.

4) I felt like I was driving a smaller version of a new F-150.

I took my Expedition for a drive on Sunday since it had been sitting. That was a weird feeling. I felt like I was wrestling the steering wheel after driving the Ranger.

All of the electronics kind of freak me out. I was looking at the screen that controls the radio, navigation, rear camera, and climate control thinking it would be really expensive to have to replace. You're not going to be swapping out the stereo head unit in this truck.

This Ranger has the Technology Package that includes Adaptive Cruise Control. It has suggested that I needed to take a brake because I had crossed (or got to close?) the edge line on the highway to many times. Yesterday a red collision alert message popped up in the instrument display, and an audible alert tone came through the stereo and briefly startled me. I quickly looked to see if I was about to hit something, or if someone was about to hit me, and I have no idea what triggered it.

Here's a video explaining the system:

So I like the truck, the power the engine puts out, the 10-speed transmission (especially in sport mode), the interior, and all of its features. I'll be adding a leveling kit, bigger tires, and subjecting it to some harsh environments, so we'll see how it holds up.

One more thing on technology, I'm replying to your message from my smartphone, and stopped to watch that video and add it to this discussion. I couldn't do that back when my Ranger was built. Technology continues to improve, it just freaks us out because we know how much it costs to replace. Unfortunately, there's no real way around it, except to not choose the optional things on your next new Ranger.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I want the big screen but I want the HVAC stuff separate like it is with the little screen...

And I want a rubber floor in an XLT.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I can adjust the temp and fan speed from buttons below it, but that settings that control where it comes out are on the screen.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, the package with the base radio has a series of buttons between the fan speed and temp to control the vent functions. I wish they could just plop the bigger screen in and not mess with the buttons down below.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
That's the setup I would opt for in my own truck.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
What else would you lose when you drop the adaptive cruise control?

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
What else would you lose when you drop the adaptive cruise control?
Ok, I'm going to correct myself a bit....

I removed this from a previous message because I think I'm wrong:

Speaking of which, if you want to turn your 2019 Ford Ranger in to a vehicle you can off-road, DO NOT get one with adaptive cruise control. It's not going to like trail obstacles, or anything you bolt on to the front bumper. This Ranger has it, and it began beeping when I started up a hill. I think the embankment on the sides triggered it. I expect that I'll have to disable it in the settings if I add a grill guard.
It sounds like the Pilot 360 is what was triggering when I was off-road:

FORD CO-PILOT 360™
Introducing Ford Co-Pilot 360™ – driver-assist technologies* that can help you navigate our increasingly crowded roads and highways with greater confidence. Features included are BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-Traffic Alert and coverage for both the truck and trailer, Lane-Keeping System, Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking, Auto High-Beam Headlamps, and Rear View Camera. Ford Co-Pilot 360™ comes standard on Ranger XLT and LARIAT and is optional on Ranger XL.

Let's take another look at the 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 XLT that I have......

The XLT comes with:

DRIVER ASSIST ● Ford Co-Pilot360™ — Auto-High Beam Headlamps — BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) w/Cross-Traffic Alert and Trailor Tow Monitoring — Lane-Keeping System (LaneKeeping Aid, Lane-Keeping Alert and Driver Alert System) ● 110V AC Power Outlet ● Forward Sensing System ● Reverse Sensing System ● SYNC® — Enhanced Voice Recognition Communications and Entertainment System — 911 Assist® — 4.2" LCD Display in Center Stack — Applink® — Smart Charging USB port – one (1) ● FordPass™ Connect 4G Wi-Fi Modem — Wi-Fi® hotspot connects up to 10 devices1 — Remotely start, lock and unlock vehicle2 — Schedule specific times to remotely start vehicle2 — Locate parked vehicle2 — Check vehicle status2 Note: Ford Telematics™ Prep included for Fleet ONLY: FordPass™ Connect 4G Wi-Fi Modem enables telematics services through authorized partners. Activate at www.fleet.ford.com or call 888-459-0255.

This includes Option Group 301A:

Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror I I Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel and Shifter I I Power-Folding Sideview Mirrors w/Power Glass I I SiriusXM® Satellite Radio1 Note: Includes a 6-month prepaid subscription. Service is not available in Alaska and Hawaii. I I SYNC® 3 ● Dual-zone Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (DEATC) ● Enhanced Voice Recognition Communications and Entertainment System ● 8" LCD Touchscreen in Center Stack with swiping and pinch-to-zoom capabilities ● Pinch-to-zoom capability included with available Voice-Activated Touchscreen Navigation System ● AppLink® ● 911 Assist® ● Smart Charging USB ports – two (2) Note: SYNC® AppLink® lets you control some of your favorite compatible mobile apps with your voice. It is compatible with select smartphone platforms. Commands may vary by phone and AppLink® software

The window sticker shows:

https://www.therangerstation.com/resources/pdf_documents/KLA00272_Ranger_SuperCrew_4X4_XLT.pdf

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT/OTHER 17" OFF-ROAD OWL TIRES TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE .ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL .SYNC 3, SIRIUSXM RADIO, NAV SPORT APPEARACE PACKAGE FLOOR LINER - TRAY STYLE REMOTE START TRAILER TOW PACKAGE 17" MAGNETIC PAINTED ALUM WHL SPRAY-IN BEDLINER FX4 OFF-ROAD PACKAGE .ELECTRONIC-LOCKING DIFF TAG 037D384

And the technology package (according to the build guide) includes:

Technology Package  Adaptive Cruise Control  Navigation

The Ford website lists this for Adaptive Cruise Control:

You’re taking off on a weekend for some fun and relaxation in the great outdoors. To help alleviate the stress of all the hours it takes to reach your destination, you can have your new Ranger equipped with available Adaptive Cruise Control.* Just set a cruising speed and distance from the vehicle ahead. And as the vehicle ahead of you slows, so do you — automatically. When the vehicle ahead clears, you resume your pre-set speed and distance. There’s also the Forward Collision with Brake Support. If it detects a collision is imminent and you don’t react in time, the brakes will pre-charge and increase brake-assist sensitivity to provide full responsiveness when you brake.

Therefore.....

I don't think you lose anything when you lose the adaptive cruise control. The navigation seems to be included if you have Sync 3.

Check out the 2019 Ford Ranger order guide at:

https://www.therangerstation.com/resources/pdf_documents/2019-Ranger-Order-Guide.pdf

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Well then can the Copilot 360 be shut off while you wheel it around. Or should they go for a well equipped XL and opt out on the Copilot 360/BLIS

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I think the sensors can be shut off. The next time I wheel it, I'm going to pay more attention to the sensors, and see if I can trigger them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals