• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Going back to 235s

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
I finally had my truck over to the shop , he put it up and ran it with the wheesl spinning both back tires have flat spots in them. I've been going a bit crazy trying to find the hopping bouncing of the back and the truck doesn't shake. With the wheels off the ground & spinning,
So, I'm going to get the 31x10.5 taken off (should I save them, anybody want them for off road?) and go back to the original 235 75 15 size. Omg ? tires are expensive but what isn't?

I'm not a hardcore off-road and the four-wheel-drive doesn't even work at this point so I can't in any way rationalize any reason for oversized tires.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Good news! looks like I don't need to fix/replace the rear just yet! The tires that were on there were really really bad! (It's just hard to accept because they were nearly new) I'm running on 235s now I won't say smooth as silk it the first time since I've had this truck that I can drive at highway speeds not shake & rattle. This just confirms what I always say, dig hard as you can on for simple things first! The cost of tires is not simple but it's amazing how many problems were caused by bad tires,

Attachments

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Yes I'm still alive , anybody seeing any of this??

Pictures for comparison

Attachments

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
The quality of the ride and the absence of shaking, it's like a new truck!

Attachments

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes, people are seeing your posts, lol. 47 to be exact...
I have a bad vibration from the front of the truck. I took it to get balanced but made no difference. I suspect the tech was not trained well because I could see a wobble as he spun it on the machine. I'll take it to another place to get a second opinion.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Yes, people are seeing your posts, lol. 47 to be exact...
I have a bad vibration from the front of the truck. I took it to get balanced but made no difference. I suspect the tech was not trained well because I could see a wobble as he spun it on the machine. I'll take it to another place to get a second opinion.
I was beginning to wonder! For a while my post were going to the old forum!

I had wildtrak 31s balanced and rotated maybe four times since I've had this truck. The always remained! It was making me crazy, making me think the rear end was shot or worse

Well, I put about a hundred miles on the truck with the new tires, the shake is definitely gone! the only shake I get now is up around 75 or higher which I almost never do, there still is a lot a body and bed movement because Mount bushings are shot and Lord knows what else. But at least I feel like continuing on with work on this truck now!

He the tire mechanic insisted I keep these tires at 35psi which seems really too much to me, 30-3psi even seems like too much!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Keep an eye on tire wear, if the center wears quicker then lower the pressure.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
He the tire mechanic insisted I keep these tires at 35psi which seems really too much to me, 30-3psi even seems like too much!
I always run mine at 36 and get perfectly even wear

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I was looking at load ratings, actual load ratings, and gross weight of a vehicle, rangers are +-3,000 lbs can that translates to under a thousand pounds on each wheel even though the front has more weight most likely,.

So looking up a actual load chart the tire pressures on 235s should be 29psi A pickup truck is almost always empty at least mine is.

I guess this changing tires and having good tires on the truck finally is pretty exciting to me because I haven't been able to drive the truck anywhere. it's probably not a big issue to anybody else.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Charts shmarts lol 26lbs on winter tires 36 on summer tires. I never found a chart that means squat about pressure, I go strictly by tread wear. If after a couple thousand miles I can make a measurable difference between the center and side tread Ill adjust. But those numbers have been dead on for the last 4 sets of tires on my truck.

Don't worry I get all giddy when I get new tires too. Mostly because I tend to let them go way too long. :no2:

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
If you're planning on hauling/towing with the truck, bear in mind that LT-rated tires are going to require more PSI to maintain the same load capacity as an equivalent P-rated tire. So, the number listed on the door placard for the OEM P-rated tires might be ok for an empty truck to maintain a decent ride and not wear the centers, but when you haul you're going to want to bump that pressure up to whatever it says on the manufacturer's tire/load chart to avoid blowouts. I have C-rated BFG All-Terrains on mine and also run them at 36 all around and bump them up to 40 when hauling. I rotate every 5k and haven't noticed any uneven wear.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
My truck will always be basically empty, although the cap and the class 2 hitch add some weight to it, I doubt that I'll ever tow anything, the few times I tried I had minor disasters! (With other vehicles)

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I'm the same way. My truck hauls kayaks and fishing rods never any real weight. I took a trip to Ohio once with 800 pounds in the bed through hill country and my transmission was not happy. It's a ranger though... it wasn't ment as a heavy hauler. I cringe when I see rangers towing landscaping trailers with tons of gear in the bed. Buy an f250!

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The factory tires on mine were 235/75R15s and the pressure for them was 35 psi. Right now, with the 31X10.5R15s, I'm running the same psi. The 40 psi the tire shop put in made the truck ride really rough. I'll keep an eye on the tread wear and adjust as needed but after a few weeks, 35 seems about right. You might need to do the same but the factory psi is usually a good place to start.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Reporting back, I am just tickled that I can drive on the interstate at 70mph even 75 if need be! I have them at 32 psi and even at that there's hardly any bulge in the sidewalls so these trucks are not that heavy I will keep an eye on it, I did have the alignment a couple of months ago it's nice that the steering wheel is centered and surprisingly the ball joints are good.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals