• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Going from 4.0 to 5.0 Help

SubwayTrash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Factory Torsion bar almost all the way up same blocks in back
Tire Size
33 12.50 R15
Afternoon everyone!!!
Soooo, I have chocolate milk for oil now the right after I just got done pretty much the whole top half of the engine but that's neither here nor there. I'm going to do the swap to the explorer 5.0 that I'm picking up tomorrow, my question is what all will I need from that Explorer to be a plug-and-play easy-going install. My truck is a 98 Ford Ranger 4x4 with a 4.0 and I believe the 5.0 is a 2001, my understanding is pretty much everything will stay the same or do I need to get the whole wiring harness computer etc etc etc? Or am I just getting in way over my head?

I think it's going to be awesome!
Thanks in advance for your help my hat goes off to you guys.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You need the 5.0l engine and its 4x4 automatic transmission and transfer case, plus 5.0l computer and engine wiring harness

If you want to stay with manual trans then you will need manual trans(M5R2) and transfer case from a 1997-2003 F150 4x4 with 4.2l V6 engine
4.2l V6 in these years match 5.0l OHV(302) both pattern
You will also need to send the 5.0l computer out to have Automatic software deleted, you can use it with the automatic software but the CEL will be on all the time

Article here on most details: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/explorer-5-0-swap-in-a-2000-ford-ranger/
But every swap will have differences

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Or am I just getting in way over my head?
Maybe. You have to treat this like a big exam coming up in school, and get all the materials and info you can find and study and study. You have to study both vehicles, their particular years. And then you might have some anti-theft stuff to deal with.

If you want to blindly plug everything in, then swap EVERYTHING, dash and all if it will swap. Instrument cluster, the whole 9 yards. I am not well versed enough to know if it will all swap over.

Here are some articles to help get you started.

This article is right down your alley though they avoided the anti-theft thing (PATS).

There is more info here. https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index-engine-fuel.shtml

SubwayTrash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Factory Torsion bar almost all the way up same blocks in back
Tire Size
33 12.50 R15
You need the 5.0l engine and its 4x4 automatic transmission and transfer case, plus 5.0l computer and engine wiring harness

If you want to stay with manual trans then you will need manual trans(M5R2) and transfer case from a 1997-2003 F150 4x4 with 4.2l V6 engine
4.2l V6 in these years match 5.0l OHV(302) both pattern
You will also need to send the 5.0l computer out to have Automatic software deleted, you can use it with the automatic software but the CEL will be on all the time

Article here on most details: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/explorer-5-0-swap-in-a-2000-ford-ranger/
But every swap will have differences
Hey that's not to bad at all, (I hope). A guy at work was telling me that the 5.0 would bolt right up to manual trans that is in my ranger now with the 4.0 is that true? Because it don't sound like it. Also I need to get the motor mounts from the explorer correct?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Hey that's not to bad at all, (I hope). A guy at work was telling me that the 5.0 would bolt right up to manual trans that is in my ranger now with the 4.0 is that true? Because it don't sound like it. Also I need to get the motor mounts from the explorer correct?
The 4.0 transmission will not bolt up to the 302.

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
If he has a M5R1 then that adaptor wont work. That adaptor works with the older 2.9 transmissions that had a removable bell housing. FM146, FM145 and older. The M5R1s don't have removable bell housings.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
If he has a M5R1 then that adaptor wont work. That adaptor works with the older 2.9 transmissions that had a removable bell housing. FM146, FM145 and older. The M5R1s don't have removable bell housings.
Thanks for that correction.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals