• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Grinding when going into reverse - but only if doing so after immediate clutch engagement. '96 2WD 5MT

ob_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT Single Cab
Transmission
Manual
Howdy,

Just joined the Ranger community today and encountered a surprising grind going into reverse that was never revealed during my test drive, or during the PPI I paid for (feel like a schmuck for that). When shifting into reverse following immediate clutch engagement, I get a grinding. This does not happen if I: 1) shift into another gear and then into reverse or 2) keep the clutch engaged for ~5 seconds. Based on what I've read per the below threads, the M50D should be synchronized, so I am guessing my reverse snychro is cooked? If true, is this merely an inconvenience, or is there a greater risk? I assume fixing that synchro basically means rebuilding the whole trans? Should I try a drain and fill with synthetic gear oil? Appreciate the help!

Thread 1

Thread 2

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Won't hurt anything. You would be surprised how little time it takes to get used to a routine with it. Like shifting into 5th before going into reverse over whatever is most convenient.

I had a transmission where 2nd gear synch was getting worn I got in the habit of lightly pressing the shifter into first gear when downshifting, and then pulling it back into 2nd. I find myself doing that with all the vehicles I drive now.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
What fluid are you using in the transmission and how long has it been since it's been changed? I find with my 2011, when the ATF is getting worn out, shifting into revise gets difficult and I have to put into 1st before going into reverse. The aftermarket fluid I tried wore out faster than Motorcraft Mercon V but even Mercon V will do it once the fluid gets so many miles on it. I change mine every 30,000 miles to avoid the issue. The aftermarket fluid didn't last that long before needing changed.

ob_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT Single Cab
Transmission
Manual
Not sure on the fluid - just bought the truck with 60K miles so I'm guessing it's 20 year old fluid lol. I just bought some purple synchromesh to refill with this week :) hoping that does the trick. Appreciate the tips!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals