• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Guide me into the world of RC

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The only RC cars I've played with were back when I was a kid. Haven't messed with anything remote control in at least 10 years unless you count the TV. Recently discovered that there's an RC dirt track about 3 miles from my house and a group of guys I work with have cars that they run out there. I watched them run a little last weekend and seemed like something I might want to try.

I think the large 4x4 machines they run are 1/8 scale and bunch of smaller stuff, not too familiar with sizes. I know the 4x4s and larger 2wd buggies were all running 33cc nitro motors, if that means anything.

So if I wanted to jump into this as a hobby what would be a good place to start. Don't want to start out with a machine that I can't handle, but also don't want to have room to grow into a machine. I'm a total newb to the stuff. What should I look to start with gas, electric, nitro. Small scale or large scale. 4x4 dirt truck, 2wd street car. Any brands that are preferred, but not over priced.

Of course a 4x4 truck with a Ranger body would be nice. Probably impossible to find, but nice.

If I try to get into the scene it'll be a few months off. I've got engine work to do on my full scale truck before I can put the time or cash into something like this. Don't mind doing the research, but don't have a clue as to where to start. I don't even have a clue as to where to start getting a clue.

EDIT: Should mention no rock crawling areas. Only dirt track and parking lots, mostly the former.

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
Traxxas revo to start with second hand to bring the price down and i believe they make ranger shells.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
This is just what I understand from talking to my SIL and her husband.

First you have to empty your life savings. Then you have to get a second job.

Next you start calling in sick to both jobs to get more time.

Then you loose all interest in sex, or almost any other activity, because you need to work on your car.

But I haven't actually gotten into it first hand, that's just what I have heard.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
First you have to empty your life savings. Then you have to get a second job.
The full scale trucks have already emptied out the life savings. If the feds decide to furlough again this year I'll need a second job any way.

Next you start calling in sick to both jobs to get more time.
Thanks to the dumb #$%!& in management at work I would have taken those days anyway, so that's not an issue.

Then you loose all interest in sex, or almost any other activity, because you need to work on your car.
I wish that were an issue, but there is really nothing there to loose interest in. Most of the time I'm not at work I find myself sitting in front of a computer screen. That's one of the reasons I'm thinking about getting into it. The track is three miles from my house, easy excuse to get out of the house and kill some time.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would recommend an traxxas emaxx its 4x4 big tires. Powerful ttwin motors. Dual shocks all around. They are tough. Fast enough. 400$. Watched a friend beat the piss out of one for a year.finally broke it in half my jumping it 20 ft in the air and landing on a pallet.

If you want nitro get a traxxas t maxx, I own electric and nitro. I don't really like the nitro. There hard to keep running and go through a lot of parts. The electric has 100% power right away. If you go lipo you gain way longer run times and more power.

If you can't afford that then id suggest a duratrax evader. The thing is built to bash. The parts are designed so they bend. Even got a 1 year warranty. NO QUESTIONS asked replacement parts for a year. Does like 20 MPH.if that's not fast enough hook up the lipo batteries you'll get 35 out of it. it flys well. All around great rig. . Ive sseen them at 125.

Also if you go to www.towerhobbies.com you can make 3 payments on easy pay items.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The full scale trucks have already emptied out the life savings. If the feds decide to furlough again this year I'll need a second job any way.

Thanks to the dumb #$%!& in management at work I would have taken those days anyway, so that's not an issue.

I wish that were an issue, but there is really nothing there to loose interest in. Most of the time I'm not at work I find myself sitting in front of a computer screen. That's one of the reasons I'm thinking about getting into it. The track is three miles from my house, easy excuse to get out of the house and kill some time.

Ok. Sounds like you have the basics down then. Good.

Yeah, Traxxis makes good stuff with lots of options. I have a Slash that I run in the yard sometimes. I don't race it or anything, but for a battery powered RC car its pretty kick ass.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Traxxas looks interesting. Especially the motor replacement plan that I saw mentioned the other day. My internet is being stupid slow right now so can't load the sight to look at it more. Past time to hit the sack anyway.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Also I have had good luck with nitrorcx products. But I still recommend traxxas. Idk that any body out there will tell you traxxas sucks. And I think the emaxx is water proof

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The E/T-Maxx is so 1999. :D

I've had a Traxxas Summit for some years now (they claim its a 1/10-scale but it's very much more the size of a 1/8-scale truck). The Summit is based on the Revo chassis with the cantilever suspension and IMO is just as modifiable as the old Maxx trucks are, if not more so. It's easily buildable for speed driving/bashing (making use of it's Revo DNA), or for crawling (or even both), the possibilities really are endless. It has a 2-speed (Hi/Lo) transmission, and real differential lockers (spool/open), all controlled via the radio controller.
It uses a single brushed motor about twice the size of the E-Maxx motors, so it produces about the same overall power.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXZGR6RR&P=SM

Last edited:

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I forgot about that toy. That's a nice one too.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well seems I was a little off on the scale. They run 1/5 scale trucks and buggies from King Motor RC.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
1/5 stuff is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

(I thought I had a lot of dough into my Summit with a 1/8-scale brushless setup and LiPo batteries... that stuff puts a whole new perspective on cost :icon_twisted: )

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Theirs are apparently 2wd instead of 4wd, but still 1/5 scale. I don't think I'll be starting out with one of those. Might get something like the Revo used to start with. If I enjoy them I'll get the bigger 1/5th scale stuff.

94xlt4.0

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
i would start with a short course truck to begin with in th 1/10 scale. electric is the way to go because they are just as fast now as nitro trucks butt you dont have to constantly tune an engine. the traxxas slash is a good platform but most racers do a low c/g (center of gravity) conversion to them as they sit kind of high. the new slash platinum already have the low c/g chassis. you can find used slashes on ebay or craigslist for around $150 to $200. upgrades are endless for them as well. i started with a $100 2wd version and traded for a 4x4 and between the 2 have probably spent near a grand doing little things once i get bored with different setups. if you do get one buy plenty of different gears because different tracks will change what gearing will work best. i fried a speed controller using track gearing in an open field. thats the only problem ive had and it was my fault. if you have any question pm me here ill gladly help

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That's kinda what I'm leaning toward, a 1/10 scale SC truck. Will probably go with nitro though. Probably the Slayer Pro 4x4. Got plenty of time to look and think about it before I jump in.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals