• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Half of instrument cluster not working

DLinMI

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I was having a problem with my wipers not working so I changed the multi-function switch hoping it was the issue. It wasn't but that's another problem. After changing the switch I temporarily lost my speedometer and the right side of the dash cluster isn't lighting up. The speedometer came back but I have no dome light or right side dash lights. Visually checked fuses, pulled cluster and bulbs looked fine, I even swapped one from the side that's working and no dice. Dimmer switch dims the side that is lighting up but when I turn it all the way the dome light doesn't light. It was burned out when I checked, replaced the bulb to no avail. I even went so far as to try my old multi-function switch again since it wasn't the problem with the wipers and still no dash lights on right side. This is an 04 Ranger XLT 4x4 supercab, 4.0. All other dash lighting appears to be working, any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
You need a schematic and a multi meter.

DLinMI

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You need a schematic and a multi meter.
Any idea on a source for a schematic? I have a multi meter, not well versed on using one. Anyone suggest a source for the procedure to test the cluster? Thanks

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hell even a test light will get you pretty far when dealing with a problem like this. Right now you need to find out where the 12v is lost at. Use a test light to follow 12v until you lose 12v.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Visual inspection of fuses and bulbs is hit or miss really... always best to test with a DMM. I believe there is only one ILLUM feed going to the cluster... if half works and the other doesn't... bulbs... connections... or the PCB. Test for power and ground at the dome light with the system active. Do the dome lights work with the doors? The symptoms the vehicle displays are all clues. If no power at the dome light with either switch... start testing at the fuse... then the switch.

As for schematics... I don't have them... I really need to buy a set of factory manuals for my truck. They are priceless when it comes to diagnosis of your electrical system and everything else you want to DIY. Will probably pay for themselves after a couple repairs vs. paying someone else to do the repairs.

I'm thinking there are a couple folks here that have this stuff and most times are willing to share.

DLinMI

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Visual inspection of fuses and bulbs is hit or miss really... always best to test with a DMM. I believe there is only one ILLUM feed going to the cluster... if half works and the other doesn't... bulbs... connections... or the PCB. Test for power and ground at the dome light with the system active. Do the dome lights work with the doors? The symptoms the vehicle displays are all clues. If no power at the dome light with either switch... start testing at the fuse... then the switch.

As for schematics... I don't have them... I really need to buy a set of factory manuals for my truck. They are priceless when it comes to diagnosis of your electrical system and everything else you want to DIY. Will probably pay for themselves after a couple repairs vs. paying someone else to do the repairs.

I'm thinking there are a couple folks here that have this stuff and most times are willing to share.
Thanks, will give it a try

delaware74b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I downloaded these schematics from ebscohost before they closed down the 'tech' user ID's. I hope this helps.

Attachments

DLinMI

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I downloaded these schematics from ebscohost before they closed down the 'tech' user ID's. I hope this helps.
The links won't open, but thanks anyway. I tested all fuses with a digital multi meter and test light, all good. Dome light works and the left side of dash that does light dims with dimmer switch. Tested back side of dimmer and have power at suggested feeds to instrument cluster. Ran an ELM code reader and pulled B1318 on the instrument cluster and same off GEM, I need a source for schematics to figure out what wire is supposed to be supplying power to these. Correct me if I'm wrong but I assume the GEM supplies the cluster? Any help is appreciated, thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals