• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hard start

justins81213

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Not really sure if I'm posting this on the right forum but I have a 2006 Ford ranger sport 3.0 RWD. It starts right up Everytime but when I first start it,it seems like it has a hard or rough sounding start like it's drawing to much air or gas maybe not sure. My rpm will jump to 2000 then drop right to 1500 and after about 10-15 seconds will drop to 1250 or 1000 and sounds fine from there on. Could this be the iac valve? Any suggestions to narrowing down the problem would be great. It doesn't do it every start usually just once maybe twice a day.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would first test if fuel pressure is dropping to low when engine sits for longer than say 5 hours
2006 runs 55psi fuel pressure, when off the fuel pressure should hold above 30psi for many MONTHS
When you turn on the key the fuel pump only runs for 2 seconds, its a safety thing, and then will not run again until RPMs are above 400, engine started
If fuel pressure is leaking out when truck sits then that 2 second run time might not be enough
So turn key on then off, repeat 3 times, 6 second run time, THEN try to start the engine and see if its better

If that doesn't help then I would change the ECT sensor on speculation, its not too expensive

ECT sensor tells the engine computer how much Choke to apply to a cold engine
Cold engine needs to be choked, computer does this based on temp it gets from ECT sensor
If ECT is showing a warmer temp than actual temp there is not enough choke applied for quick start up, but after a few seconds the cylinders are hot enough to not need full choke

There are two temp devices on the 3.0l engine
ECT sensor uses 5volts and will have light green and gray wires, only used by the computer
ECT Sender uses 12volts and will have red and black wires, its only used for dash board temp gauge

So they are not interchangeable

IAC Valve reads like it is working OK
It should be wide open for start up, so 2,000RPM surge
Then computer will start to close it for cold engine idle, 1,100-1,500rpm depending on outside temp(ECT sensor Temp)
Then as ECT/engine warm up the computer continues to close IAC Valve until warm engine idle is set, approx. 750-800 for automatic trans, lower for manual

justins81213

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just tried the key thing didn't seem to do anything different it's usually just the first start of the day it does it. Maybe I'm just over thinking it

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Try holding the throttle down about 1/4 way when you cold start it.

If it fires right up id blame the IAC

justins81213

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok I'll try that tonight when I get off work

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I was thinking fuel filter or pump as well. Definitely need to get a fuel pressure reading. If you don't have a gauge you can just press the Schrader valve with a screwdriver with the key on and if gas hits the hood then you got good pressure. If it barely comes out with the key on then its either a plugged filter or bad fuel pump.

justins81213

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just put a new filter on less than a year ago but I'll check the pressure out

justins81213

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Tried the throttle thing and it pretty much started right up and just revved and rpms went to 3000

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals