• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Has anyone put an inline 6 in a Ranger?

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

jimmyess333

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was thinking inline 6 for longevity, simplicity, and(usually) room to work on and maintain it.
You're right, it's not much of a performance upgrade but then that's not where my head was at.
So far it looks like more work than it's worth compared to just dropping a rebuilt 2.3 back in it when the time finally comes.
I was just considering the options and curious what was involved.
A V8 would be a great option if I ever decide to retire the truck from primary vehicle status but I'll probably build an old 60's car when I want to fool around with V8's again.
Who knows, anything can happen between now and then.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I'm not after high power and high torque. I'm all for modifing stuff to get it to work. And I bet it uses less fuel then a v-8.

A v-8 is over kill for what I do with my truck.

jimmyess333

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm not after high power and high torque. I'm all for modifing stuff to get it to work. And I bet it uses less fuel then a v-8.

A v-8 is over kill for what I do with my truck.
I look at it like filling an ice cube tray.
My practical needs are the cubes by the faucet, and only after they are filled does the next cube get any water.
As long as everything is taken care of at the important end of the tray I have no problem giving water to the toys and wants at the other end of the tray.
If something at the important end needs attention, flow stops to the rest of the tray until it is taken care of.

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I personally know of a ranger with a 200 I6 in it from an old stang

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i remember the old 170ci six in the Falcons, but wasn't there also a 240ci six back then? i too had a 200ci six in a '66 mustang with a c-4 tranny. not a bad combination really. wouldn't mind having an old straight six replace the 2.8 in my ranger.

Spdrcer34

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
The 200/250 I6 fit in the Fox Body from the factory....I don't see why it wouldn't fit in the Ranger just as easily.

Ryan

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
There was a 250 I6 based heavily on the 200 I6, the 240 I6 is actually the smaller brother of the 300 I6.

Interestingly enough, the 250 I6 has a standard Ford Small Block pattern.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I think a 200 I6 is the perfect size motor for a ranger with a c4 behind it. But are they avalible in 4wd or would you be looking at a divorce transfer case?

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There was a 250 I6 based heavily on the 200 I6, the 240 I6 is actually the smaller brother of the 300 I6.

Interestingly enough, the 250 I6 has a standard Ford Small Block pattern.
so would that make it easier to adapt the 250 to my 5 speed tranny?

Spdrcer34

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Since the 250 and 302 share the same transmission bellhousing pattern....I think your options are pretty limitless.

For as STOCK set-up, you could install a M5OD from a 4.2L F-150....and use ALL FoMoCo parts in the swap...

Ryan

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A V6 is better than in I-6 because it's much more compact. The pushrod 4.0 is a great engine--it's a 60* V and is extremely compact considering it's displacement. A 60-degree V6 isn't a lot wider than an inline motor. The pushrod 4.0 is my favorite gas motor. It's so compact and still has full-size power. Mine is from a '91 and has no EGR and a minimal of sensors--one O2 sensor. No distributor, nothing to go wrong. It has the serpentine belt--easy to work on because you just pop it off and can get to anything, and it automatically adjusts tension. You can run the M50D behind it, but the C4/5 also works behind it using the bell from a 2.8.

Why would you want to patch some garbage together when a pushrod 4.0 is so easy to install, and such a great motor? Doing something just to be different is stupid. To be different I could poke out my left eye. Better to look at your needs and work backwards. Don't plan for failure. When you attack something you pile everything you have into it. Doing something weird means leaving most of your resources behind--there are no 300-6 Rangers in action by anyone on the boards. There are dozens of 4.0 swaps in action. Putting in a 300-6 or something, you will most likely fail. A 4.0 is a better motor and many of us have done it and can help you get through it.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Have any of you seen a 300 straight six outside of a truck? The block is ginormous and I'm pretty sure that engine weighs at least 3x as much as any ranger engine. You'd have to put the front suspension from a F150 in as well just to hold the stupid thing up.

That being said, I am a big fan of the 300/4.9L. I just don't think it belongs in a ranger - it's too long and heavy. The 4.0, as Will described, is a great engine for a ranger, and they really do have quite an impressive amount of torque down low where it counts. Going from a 2.8 or a 2.9 to a 4.0 is a huge upgrade in torque.

But you still can't compare a 4.0 and 300/4.9L when it comes to torque, and realistic things like what the truck feels comfortable towing. That's like comparing a pocket knife to an assault rifle. If you want a fair comparison when it comes to towing crap, the 300/4.9L, 351/5.8L, or the modular 5.4L are pretty similar as far as how much trailer they'll feel comfortable with. The 302/5.0L and modular 4.6L don't even measure up to the 300/4.9L with a trailer behind them.

Last edited:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 300-6 isn't comparable at all to a 5.4. The 5.4 has a longer stroke and makes 390ft# compared to 265ft# of the EFI 300-6. The carbed 300-6 was good for about as much torque as a 4.0. The difference being that with it's nearly 4" stroke the 300-6 is running much faster at a lower rpm. Piston speed is the important factor. A 5.4 is a beast of a tow motor it's capability beyond what it's displacement indicates. I'd rather have a 5.4 than a 460.

I like the 300-6 for what it is, not for what it isn't. It's simple, can lug a big load and looks cool. What it isn't is powerful and it's not the torque monster people make it out to be. 265ft# is not earth-rotating torque. It's all about piston speed. The Dodge slant-6 has an even longer stroke and even though it's much smaller at only 225cid, it was used in trucks as well and had no problem shrugging big loads into motion. The stroke makes it feel like a bigger motor than it is. But once you get it moving, you quickly realize that it only has 100hp.

That 300-6 is in there, and in several other Rangers. But it's not in service in any that I have seen. And all that hacking. It's not worth it to me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals