• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Head gasket instulation

Scolof

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Im rebuilding my 84 bronco 2 and was wondering if anyone had any advice on weather i should use permatex copper spray-a-gasket hi temp sealant on my head gasket. Some people say you should and others say you dont have to. Any info helps thanks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Check the block surface for flatness, use a straight edge with a flash light behind it to check if block is flat, minimal light passes under straight edge

I assume the heads have been cleaned and surfaced?
or do the same with heads

If block and heads are flat then nothing is needed except the composite gasket.

The head gaskets metal rings for each cylinder hold back 900+ PSI when a cylinder fires, they are the important part, and RTV or copper spray does nothing for them.

The water jacket holes have 12 - 18 PSI(Rad Cap rating) so not much pressure there
If their are oil passages, not the drains, then they are maybe 40-50psi, which is alot but block or head would need a deformity to leak at those 1 or 2 passages.

So no treatment is needed, IMO

MLS(multi-layered-steel) head gaskets can use a spray on sealer, they are only used with aluminum heads through, they tend to leak when Cold

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It is not NEEDED. I like to do it because it helps hold the gasket in place during head installation. I know that's what the dowels are for, but it won't hurt anything and it does hold the other corners down.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals