• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

head gasket job ...what are these and are they needed where do they go

smegun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford explorer
Transmission
Automatic
doing a head gasket job some harrowing experiences but I remember one of these falling out lifiting the head before I put them in the trunk to take to the machine shop …. I got a bunch more with the head gasket kit I assume there a type of head mount washer but purpose is alluding me and location ….the s type gaskets are for the lower intake manifold but all the diy turorials don't make mention of use of such I know there is a bead of permetex that goes in the front and back of the motor but I havnt seen these used and is it a good idea and do I still use the permetex good or bad ?

smeguns 94 4.0 ohv

Attachments

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I usually put a light bead of silicone on the block and then place the strip gaskets in place and let it set up a while, it helps hold them in place as the intake goes down. Then put a dab of silicone in the corners at the heads.

I can't see the other set of parts well enough to tell what they are. If they are actual washers they may go on the head bolts, but usually new head bolts will come with washers on them already.

smegun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford explorer
Transmission
Automatic
too small for headbolts they were on the head or block mating surface there light aluminum there is like twelve of them but the heads I pulled only seemed to have a few of them at least im uncertain I lost that many :/ there for some of the feed throughs I guess just don't know the prudence or locations like I said cant be bolt holes there too small .... he ha we never had those strips before im all for it save on permetex there is too much of a bead there but first time as diy and turtorials don't mention application or use just permetex

smegun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford explorer
Transmission
Automatic
too small for headbolts they were on the head or block mating surface there light aluminum there is like twelve of them but the heads I pulled only seemed to have a few of them at least im uncertain I lost that many there for some of the feed throughs I just don't know the prudence or locations like I said cant be bolt holes there too small .... he ha we never had those strips before im all for it save on permetex there is too much of a bead there but first time as diy and turtorials don't mention application or use just permetex

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
They aren't the anti-crush bits that go in the valve cover gaskets are they?

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
They wouldn't be rocker spacers/shims would they?

smegun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford explorer
Transmission
Automatic
a little bit of rust and using the black ultra will make your valve cover job interesting but I would want more surface area …. on the head mating surfaces anti crush washer for the head gasket ????? or help guide for oil transport ??? to help the edges of the gaskets ? from oil migration ill see if they fit in the oil passages when I open the pack …. oil may challenge gasket edges but like above no diagram

some holes are not flush as in sharp but have been beveled the washer must be recessed about the thickness of the gasket there is not fresher head gasket tutorial with these ???????? If I even knew the name of the them I could do a more accurate search on the web …. ford knows what they are need a senior mechanic

my last set of gaskets were interesting taking off a lot of the silver so called aluminum gets left behind I used some copper spray too now that stuff is real interesting It gets hard like ceramic I had a checkerboard of silver and copper peelings from the head gasket and residues on the heads and block ….PU :/

the gaskets tore peeling it back I could feel the layers cracking probably shouldn't use the copper spray it does change complexity with heat like firing a glaze maybe just the exhaust ports

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
No, little metal rings in the valve cover gasket's bolt hole. They are supposed to keep things centered and keep the VC from getting warped.

smegun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford explorer
Transmission
Automatic
your right there for the valve covers the fact I found one on the block after removing the heads is it must of fell in over the years actually I found two or three ...evidently when the truck was serviced ! .. I must be on ludes or something I found them after when pulling up the heads ...are you ready im almost ready then to mount the heads

smegun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford explorer
Transmission
Automatic
I used permetex ultra the last time under and over the gasket it was a burner to get em off tweeked one of the covers a little ... there getting old and a little rusty in spots the washers don't fit on top do they? fit between the holes in the gasket? ….there dangerous evidently falling into the head must be a small nitemare waiting : /

"""No, little metal rings in the valve cover gasket's bolt hole. They are supposed to keep things centered and keep the VC from getting warped."""

smegun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford explorer
Transmission
Automatic
thanks they way I found them is evident that they got spilled around

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals