• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Headlight questions... THEY SUCK

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok well after a year or so of owning my 99 I am officially fed up with my lights... I have soon to be 10 off-road auxilary lights on my truck partially cause my regular headlamps suck! and partially cause I love light lol

When I first got the truck the lights were not the best I bought it and drove home in the dark and it was hard to see to say the least. So I replaced the bulbs with Silverstar ultras and then found out Phillips xtreme bulbs were better. but I liked my silverstars and they gave out decent light compared to old bulbs. Just recently in the long dark days of winter in Alaska I noticed my lights get dwarfed out by almost every other vehicles lights on the road and when its just me they barely light up the road maybe 30ft in front of me with a terrible pattern. and the highs scatter the light too much for it to really be worth it. (thank god for my other lights).

Good lighting is extremely important to me cause I take many highway trips and moose are everywhere.

I decided its time to change my headlights to some crystal or projector lenses. Heres a bunch off of ebay that I'm interested in. Anybody have any experience with any of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-00-FORD-RANGER-HEADLIGHTS-PARKING-BUMPER-LIGHTS-99-/400186206929?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d2cf4ead1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-99-00-FORD-RANGER-HALO-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHTS-BUMPER-/390280913197?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ade8e212d

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-1999-2000-FORD-RANGER-CHROME-LED-HEAD-LIGHT-CORNER-/330520958164?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cf49594d4

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-99-00-01-FORD-RANGER-PICKUP-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHTS-BLK-/350433195956?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51977237b4

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RANGER-CRYSTAL-CLEAR-HEADLIGHTS-HEADLAMPS-OEM-STYLE-NEW-/400187149974?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d2d034e96

I also don't plan on getting the signal lights or anything just the actual headlight part. I am partial to the 4th ones but I am not sure if they would fit or not.

greenpus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2000 and my headlights got foggy which is common among the non-sealed beam lights. The plastic they use in the lens suck and over time either gets foggy or yellow which does not pass light and makes it hard to see. There are polishes that basically sand the yellow and haze off the lens and they do work but the problem is the lens turns bad again because you remove the protective coating on the lens.

I bought Glassylite LINK which is awesome shit. It polishes/sands the lens and removes the yellow/haze/scratches and lets the light pass again. It also puts a hard coating on the lens to protect it so it won't turn yellow again. It's expensive but it works.

When I bought my 2000 new, people would flash at me at night with my dims on. Thats how bright my lights were when new. Over the years that stopped. Now that I have used Glassylite, people are now flashing me again with my dims on. Also make sure your headlights are aligned properly.

Last edited:

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well the lens actually aren't bad at all. quite the opposite actually (besides the few minor rock chips) I got one brand new one from Ford and there was no difference in light output.

Also I have them properly aligned. Its just the thick plastic with the deflectors being part of the lens instead of cutting the reflector (the thick plastic absorbs the light and has a horrible beam pattern). I already went over and did everything I could to improve these but they just plain suck.

Last edited:

mywhip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just owned the 3rd pair that you posted, and i absolutely love them. I have some ebay head light bulbs as well (blue tint ones..nothing special) and i have yet to be disappointed by light output.

greenpus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well the lens actually aren't bad at all. quite the opposite actually (besides the few minor rock chips) I got one brand new one from Ford and there was no difference in light output.

Also I have them properly aligned. Its just the thick plastic with the deflectors being part of the lens instead of cutting the reflector (the thick plastic absorbs the light and has a horrible beam pattern). I already went over and did everything I could to improve these but they just plain suck.
at least you tried. Mine are a lot brighter after polishing and I can see farther. Really made a difference for me.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I just owned the 3rd pair that you posted, and i absolutely love them. I have some ebay head light bulbs as well (blue tint ones..nothing special) and i have yet to be disappointed by light output.
How do you like the LED strip thing? Look good? Worried about it being a little too flashy for my truck.

at least you tried. Mine are a lot brighter after polishing and I can see farther. Really made a difference for me.
Yeah I'm sure it would have helped alot but since they are already clean it doesn't do much good. :icon_twisted:

scrizzo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i would like to know more about the 4th ones as i am looking at those for my truck also

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
get all the lights tho.. just the headlight part don't always look right... make all of them match

machine090767

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4 Triton V8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Perfection is worth the wait
I like the 4th set. it has the normal headlight output and a small projector fog light output for more light.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
All halogen bulbs get dimmer with age. Are your bulbs new, or old? You might get more light output with new bulbs.

Spott

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
get all the lights tho.. just the headlight part don't always look right... make all of them match
Well thats why I liked the 4th ones and the 2nd ones because I can get them with black and my signals are already tinted so they would match.

All halogen bulbs get dimmer with age. Are your bulbs new, or old? You might get more light output with new bulbs.

Spott
Yeah my lights are brand new pretty much. Even with fresh new bulbs in them and had a couple long nights to burn in they still are no wear near as bright as I want them. Actually i should reword that... My bulbs are bright and put out alot for light but the crappy pattern for the lights just ruins it.its literally a backwards triangle infront of me, no side lighting jsut 2 wide points.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
The top lights are exactly mine I'll post pics gimme an hour or so going to gym. btw I HATE THEM!!!

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Ohh and the fourth ones will fit but... Quality of photo online, and what will arrive will be diff... Always is.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Mine were supposed to be dark around edges but came completely clear... W.e it's only gotta last till I get my 04-08 expedition front end conversion...

Casper98

August 2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'd get the first set, those Ebay projectors SUCK!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals