• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Heater motor query !!! LOL

RonSerling

Reaction score
High in the mountains of San Bernardino National F
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
ummmmm 4" could be 6 but its a TTB and the little bugger varies from time to time !! LOL
Tire Size
33/12.5 15
Just a curiosity here !! I have poured a ton of cash into my little 93 project Ranger. Now that all the driveline and suspension mods are completed I am on to the minor issues, well to me they are minor, like body, paint and interior. So in starting to check things out in the interior I noticed, actually noticed this a long time ago, that when I turn the heater fan on it draws a whole lot of power. I can sit and watch the volt meter take a real dip when I turn the fan on high. It also seems that it barely puts out much air volume when it is on. Question here is do these fan motors go bad, I mean it still works kinda sorta, or is it possible a removal and good cleaning could bring it back to life. Also has anyone ever run into any issues where the actual heater box can become clogged as I was casually looking around it for the air inlet but didn't really see it. Just a few little curiosities on a menial subject but I thought I would ask around.

Thanks for your input !!! :beer: :beer: :beer: Cheers !!!

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
They do indeed go bad all Motors go bad sooner or later automotive electric motors I believe most have permanent magnets which lose some of their magnetization over the years,

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
When you turn the switch to high and see the voltage drop is the engine running?

IF you are not getting air flow removing the fan and giving it a good cleaning along with the fan housing would be a really good place to start. If there is a mouse nest in there and it is inter fearing with the fan this could explain the voltage drop if the engine is not running.

As for a fan going bad, most times the bushings holding the armature ware and allow the armature to get to close to the magnets causing it to draw more voltage to turn, squeak, run slow and at times not work at all.

Your fan is accessed from under the hood on the passenger side firewall so removal is fairly easy. I recommend starting with a cleaning especially if the truck has sat still for some time.

Last edited:

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
two weeks ago we had everything apart, the blower, the heater core, trust me there will be leaves weeds, & hopefully no dead mice. Blower motor is easy to remove but you need to access the other side of the heater core from passenger side underneath the dash. You could have a bad blower resistor pack also.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals