• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hello From Arkansas U.S.!!!

Troyv2004

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
2.3l Ford Range
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Helllloo all!

I'm new here, and Ive got tons of questions on my ranger. I'm 14 years old, and I grew up with my dad who has been a mechanic/construction his whole life(he had his own shop when he lived in MN) so I picked up the mechanical stuff:icon_welder:. My grandpa's brother died about a month ago, so I got his ranger. It's pretty much just the basic stock; 1997 2.3l 4 cylinder. It currently has stock tires on it: 205s, I want bigger tires, but Im having a lot of trouble finding any help. It has no lift or any modifications at all, so I don't want to go with 31s because they will wear the transmission out faster, so I was thinking 235/75-15 on the front and 30x9.50-15 on the rear. Currently, the timing belt is broke, luckily the valves are not interrupting so it didn't do any damage to the motor itself, so there is no rush. I dont currently have any pictures but I can get some tomorrow. What tires do you guys recommend???
Any help would be much appreciated!:icon_thumby:

Last edited:

Rangerx2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.7 V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Always question authority
First let me say congrats on inheriting your first truck! And welcome to the forum! As for any modifications to your truck, I'm simply going to give you MY opnion, which is worth about as much as the cheap old keyboard I'm banging it out on!;missingteeth;
Your first order of business would be to get the truck running and driving, that way you can assess what you have and if any additional work is needed after 20+ years. Fortunately these older 2.3's were a non-interference design motor which simply means the timing belt is outside the block. While these did tend to be rather durable little unit, they are not known to be the most powerful things in the world. My first 86 2.3 produced all of about 85 hp on the best day of its life! Your 97 would have more than that, but I don't know exact numbers. Keep that in mind when doing any modifications. This engine just isn't going to support big tires. You can go up to 15's though with no problem, just make sure the front tires don't rub when making sharp turns. Obviously considering your age, you won't be the primary driver of this vehicle for a couple of years yet. But hopefully you'll have yourself a nice little truck to take your drivers test in when you get there. Good luck with it! Also we look forward to seeing pictures of your new truck when you can.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Welcome to TRS. What part of Arkansas you from? I was born in Monticello but live in Florida now. Plenty of help here so don't be afraid to ask questions

Troyv2004

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
2.3l Ford Range
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yea, I got some pictures and a video on YouTube look up Cataholic309 on YouTube and it will be the only ranger video on my channel. It explains a lot so I won't type it all again. I would post the pictures I have but it says they are too big so just look at the video. Thanks!

59Edsel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
153 ci
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/R16
I have a 98 Ranger with the 2.5. My tires are over sized. They really bogg down my performance. Just FYI. And welcome

Troyv2004

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
2.3l Ford Range
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have a 98 Ranger with the 2.5. My tires are over sized. They really bogg down my performance. Just FYI. And welcome
What size tires do you have?

59Edsel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
153 ci
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/R16
My trucks original sized wheels were 225/70/R14. I acquired it with 235/75/R16s. 3" difference in wheel overall, roughly. My motor is having some trouble getting up to speed. Looks cool with the extra meat filling the wheel wells. But I personally will reduce the tire back to the 225.

Troyv2004

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
2.3l Ford Range
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Welcome to TRS. What part of Arkansas you from? I was born in Monticello but live in Florida now. Plenty of help here so don't be afraid to ask questions
Im In Russellville Ranger850.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

Troyv2004

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
2.3l Ford Range
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That up there by
near Conway, right? My dad worked in Baldknob for a while.
Yep by Conway and Fayetteville and all them places. I know a lot of people in Baldknob.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Welcome aboard!

Troyv2004

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
2.3l Ford Range
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So I'm not sure if I can still post on here but I know some people asked for pics when I first made this😂 idek if anyone will see these but here it is!

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals