• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hello from Burlington Ontario Canada

elawton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
First time Ranger owner. I bought a used 2020 Ranger XLT crew cab from a dealer in December 2023. It had almost 48,000 km (29,825 miles) on it. It has all the features I was looking for, except heated seats. I got the dealer to install aftermarket heating elements in the cloth front seats as part of the deal and I'm glad I did!

It came with the FX4 and off-road packages, which I'm happy about for the underbody protection. It has the sprayed in bed line and roll-up tonneau cover.

I love the size and utility of the truck. I've had my eye on the Ranger for a little while. It's big enough for my needs (weekend warrior stuff, towing) but my wife is still comfortable driving it. I'm 6'3" and there is enough head and leg room for me to sit comfortably.

After a month of driving it, I can say I'm pretty happy with it. Power seems fine on the highway. Ride is a bit bouncy as others have mentioned, but not a big problem. Mileage has been pretty good I would say - an average 8 or 9 Litres/100 km highway or around 10 to 11 combined city and highway. Much better than the Land Rover LR2 I had before this and it took premium gas. This takes regular gas.

2020 Ford Ranger.jpg

The ONLY issue so far, and the main reason I came to this forum, is that it suddenly started acting strange when I was out yesterday literally for a Sunday drive with my wife. Engine suddenly started vibrating and there was a clicking sound coming from the left front wheel area. The CEL came on and it went into limp mode. We could not drive it home and had to call CAA to come and tow us.

I was worried it was something to do with the transmission, which I had heard is an issue for some of these vehicles (TSB 22-428 on May 26 2023 titled Automatic Transmission - Harsh/Delayed Engagement And/Or Harsh/Delayed Shift). I thought this could be the issue because I was slowly backing up and turning around when the problem appeared. I was scared that I'd be facing a big repair because it's no longer under comprehensive warranty. That expired a month before I bought it, but it's still under the powertrain warranty up to 100,000 km.

The dealer called me today and told me the issue is a BROKEN SPARKPLUG! Apparently, this is an issue with Rangers that don't have an engine cover (like mine) which means rainwater can collect on the depression in the valve cover around the spark plug. This causes the plug to rust prematurely, it can't dissipate heat properly. It overheats and fails. I'm going to post about this in another thread on the topic.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Welcome to the site.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals