• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hello from Illinois!

jpark6491

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5 L4
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hey all, I've been a member on the forum since February but I have never properly introduced myself. This is my forever-a-project truck lol. I also wanted to say thank you to all those who have helped with answering some of my questions along the way.

I bought this 1999 XLT, 5 speed manual for $600 with previous owner claiming that it was stuck in 4th gear. It did not drive or actually even start at the time I bought it, but was told that it had a new clutch and engine was swapped with a lower mileage one. I hoped that it was just a simple fix but it was not...

I charged up the battery to find out that the starter was not engaging. I pulled the starter to find a broken nosecone piece and then replaced the starter to find out that it was indeed stuck in 4th with no hopes of driving. I got the truck home, pulled the transmission, and opened her up to find that the input shaft and counter shaft were completely stripped. I decided to rebuild the transmission and was somewhat successful, although the truck won't shift into 5th gear now (mainly due to carelessness on my part during assembly). At least now I can drive her around town and on backroads, but no highway driving yet. I am hoping to find a cheap used transmission to install before I pull the current trans and dive into that again so that I can at least still drive the truck in the meantime.

Once I have the transmission sorted out I have hopes of a DJM 2/3 or 4/5 drop with new wheels/tires. There is also a lot of rust and body work to patch up.

The interior is very clean. While I was waiting for new transmission parts, I tore apart the interior, cleaned the carpet and seats good, patched some rust holes in the floor and laid down some 80 mil Noico sound deadening material. I still would like to do the doors and roof, but for now it sounds a little quieter.

So, like I said, probably a forever project truck but I love having it for now!

Attachments

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
What part of IL are you from?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
A couple more miles... and you would be a Cheese Head.

jpark6491

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5 L4
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
A couple more miles... and you would be a Cheese Head.
That's funny you should say that. I actually grew up even closer to Wisconsin in the small town of Orangeville, about 2 miles from the state line, and worked in Wisconsin while going to school. Too many Packer fans up there for me, but it's a nice state!

Oxxon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hello and welcome to the TRS.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals