• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hello from PNW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31”
Just got my account made, excited to share my build on here as I build it. 2003 Ranger XLT long cab w/ 4.0 sohc and 5 speed. 4.10 L/s rear axle. Gonna go for a daily driver with decent off-road capability

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Welcome to the Herd; lots of friendly knowledgable folk in these forums!
2003 Ranger LongCab with V6~4.0L~SOHC Engin + 5r55e Trans + 4.10LS Diffs +...
is a close sibling to my 2001 SportTracJob2 with same Frame+WheelBase+DriveTrain+PreHEC Electronics.
You'll want to learn more on its quirks+weaknesses and various remedies.
Pictures of your rig as your build progresses, please.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31”
Thanks. I’ll try and post pics as I do stuff. Here is a pic of it now. Also, are there any common quirks I should know about? Also, what does PreHEC mean?
thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
...quirks I should know about?
...what does PreHEC mean?
Good lookin Ranger!

PreHEC is models without HybridElectronicControls = 2003+Earlier Rangers+SportTracs
HEC is models with HybridElectronicControls = 2004+Later Rangers+SportTracs,
this change included "factory marriage" of the PCM\Computer & InstrumentCluster;
makes those later models more difficult to maintain; can't easily swap out Cluster.

Yep, various quirks+remedies you should know about & consider; several critical ones:
* Two OilPressurized TimingTensioners, tend to gum up & fail, causing expensive damage+repairs,
especially if Oil+Filter hasnt been changed routinely; renew every 100kMiles\12yrs, relatively cheap+easy.
* JunkPlastic ThermoStatHousing, tends to crack+leak, causing loss of Coolant+OverHeating;
remedy is replace it with an Aluminum version, relatively cheap+easy.
* JunkPlastic HeaterControlValve, tends to crack+leak;
remedy is replace it with an Aluminum version, traditional HCV, relatively cheap+easy.
* JunkPlasticTanked 2core Radiator, tanks tend to crack+leak;
remedy is replace it with an AllAluminum 3or4core version, relatively cheap+easy.
* PCVValve 5/16"ID CoolantWarmingLoop is a "RubeGoldberg" design that never really worked;
only serves as source of coolant leaks & makes renewing PCVValve difficult;
best to delete associated 5/16"Hoses + 5/8~5/16~5/8"Tees + MiniHeatExchangerBarbs on Manifold right;
remove expensive factory HeaterHoses+SpringClamps & replace with stock 5/8"Hoses+WormClamps.
* 5r55e Trans tends to fail after 100k~150kMile, especially if never serviced; typical first symptoms are slipping, loss of overdrive, loss of reverse; needs service every 33kMiles\4yrs: PanDrop + ValveBodyBoltRetorq + NewFilter + NewPanGasket + New 5~7qts MerconV ATF + Band Adjust. Personal practice, every 4kMiles/6mths along with oil+filter is to also HandPump 3/4qt ATF from TransDipTube & 1/4qt ATF from SteeringReservoir, then refresh with a new qt of MerconV compatible Redline#HighTempATF.
* 1354 TransferCase 4x4ShiftMotor &\or 4x4ControlModule are NotoriousFailureItems; relatively easy+cheap to replace. TCase needs Drain+Refill every 33kMiles\4yrs with MerconLV ATF. Best to excercise 4x4 once a month, a short distance in each 2WHi~4WHi~4WLo keeps it from getting crusty from non-use.
* GearOil in RearDiff 75w140 & FrontDiff 75w90 needs changing every 33kMiles\4yrs.
* Front WheelHubs\Bearings are a NotoriousFailureItem; check for wobble every 33kMiles\4yrs.
* InstrumentCluster+DashCenterPanel Bulbs need renewel every 100kMiles\12yrs. Personal preference is to stick with traditional IncaBulbs & avoid LEDs of unknown\cheap design+endurance.

Hope this helps. Several links below for more info on above items:

Last edited:

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
Holy Crap Dill!! Are you sure you got everything? :ROFLMAO:

Anyway...Welcome to TRS Mr. White.

As Dill said, nice looking truck. I'm liking the flares. Those are not factory, are they?

r

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Welcome to the site.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31”
Honestly not sure. I’d need to do a bit more research. My grandma asked the same question yesterday when I was showing the truck to them. I’ll try and get back to you.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
They appear to me like they're factory flares that have been smoothed&painted.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31”
They appear to me like they're factory flares that have been smoothed&painted.
Thanks for the help.
also, what do you think would be the most cost effective way to get a lift? Not looking for more that like 3-4 inches. Just wanna fit 33’s. Not opposed to new shocks but I don’t wanna spend a whole lot as I’m 17 and make like 450 a month lol.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Thanks for the help.
also, what do you think would be the most cost effective way to get a lift? Not looking for more that like 3-4 inches. Just wanna fit 33’s. Not opposed to new shocks but I don’t wanna spend a whole lot as I’m 17 and make like 450 a month lol.

Reading through the above ^^ would be a great place to start. With how your front suspension is set up.. you can get 2-3" of (front) lift for free. Free is just about as cost effective as you can get lol.

That being said... you might find that maxing out the t-bars for lift isn't all its cracked up to be.. why?

Vehicles come from the factory with a relatively balanced amount of up-travel (what needs to happen when hitting a bump) and down-travel (what you want to happen when driving over a pot-hole)..

The more you crank the bars, the less down-travel your going to have.. decreasing ride quality.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31”
Ok, thanks. It already sits pretty level so they might have been cranked already.

Gary DuBois

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 cubic inch
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31 inch
Just got my account made, excited to share my build on here as I build it. 2003 Ranger XLT long cab w/ 4.0 sohc and 5 speed. 4.10 L/s rear axle. Gonna go for a daily driver with decent off-road capability
Congradulations on getting your accountmade =) please tell me everything about your ranger. You have a good daily driver with decent off road capability =)
Im from the pacific northwest too i was born and raised here in puyallup.

Gary DuBois

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 cubic inch
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31 inch
Thanks. I’ll try and post pics as I do stuff. Here is a pic of it now. Also, are there any common quirks I should know about? Also, what does PreHEC mean?
thanks
Please post videos for us all to watch and see on your ranger =)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31”
Congradulations on getting your accountmade =) please tell me everything about your ranger. You have a good daily driver with decent off road capability =)
Im from the pacific northwest too i was born and raised here in puyallup.
As it is right now it has new tires that the previous owners put on, and they have less than 1000 miles on them. From what they told me, truck also has a lot of highway miles as opposed to city driving, which is always a good thing. They told me they took it down to Baja California twice, and the Man I bought it from worker in the Forest Service so I image he drove it all over Washington state. I’ve looked into shocks but I have no experience with suspension so it’s a little daunting. It also doesn’t help that I have a small amount of spending money. The way the truck is set up feel good. I was thinking that it almost seems like a cross between an XLT AND A Fx4 because of the 4.10 l/s diff in the back. Of course, it doesn’t have the bilsteins the fx4 has but if I upgrade the shocks I would almost have an fx4 minus the underbody protection.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals