• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help? Clunking Noise - Driver Side Front

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
I've been dealing with a clunking noise. I have the torsion bar front suspension. I referenced this entire thread and focused on this comment from that post: Front Sway Bar Stabilizer or possible ball joint issue . | Page 3 | The Ranger Station. I'm not dealing with steering issues, just the 'clunk'.

I first noticed this clunk around 2008 when the weight on the suspension was lessened (e.g. after cresting a hill or encountering a drop off).

All front sway bar bushings have been replaced according the instructions posted in that thread. It has quieted down a lot but there's still a noticeable clunk coming from the same place, specially at slow speeds on bumpy roads (15-20mph). I grabbed the torsion bar and shook the hell out of it but no clunk. I tried 'plucking' the parking brake cable just in case. Again, nothing. I can't reproduce the noise unless the truck is in motion and getting jossled over a bumpy road.

Since the clunk is the same as it was when she was 4yrs old and only lessened after the new bushings, I need to look further. I'm suspecting ball joints but find that reason almost impossible. A 4yr old vehicle usually doesn't encounter ball joint problems and the noise sounds the same as it did then?

She's close to turning 100k miles. I would suspect them to be worn by now but again, it sounds the same as I remember in 2008. I also had 2 shops look at it and neither one can find the source of the noise. I had one shop realign the front suspension last year after changing the shocks. No mention of ball joints then either. I would have expected they were checked as part of the alignment effort?

Hoping someone out here might have some ideas of what to check next before I jump into ball joints. It seems like the next logical step but wanted to ask before diving in with both feet. TIA.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
You need to get the tension off the frontend components, and then you should be able to shake things around and check for play. I have never dealt with a torsion bar suspension yet, though my 99 Tahoe does have it. Can you jack the frontend up by the frame, loosen some keys or something that tensions the torsion bars, and let them relax?

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15
Thanks for the feedback. I can try that tomorrow if it's not raining. I never worked with a torsion bar suspension before so that part is new to me. Live and learn?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
So... it really helps to have two people. One the shake and wiggle... one to look. But yes... jack one side up under the lower control arm until the tire spins free. This takes all the weight off the ball joints. Now you can push and pull the top/bottom... and front/rear of the tire and feel for looseness and listen fir audibles. It's hard to see from the wiggle position... but you will have to if solo. You can even slide a big bar under the tire to help move stuff.

I really like someone in the truck to start the engine and turn the steering wheel (truck sitting on the tires) left and right while I lay under it to watch parts work. Really any slop in suspension or steering will show up.

Another thing I try is to see if lite brake pedal will make the clunk stop. What you describe could almost be a brake pad moving.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15
Thanks. I did suspect the brake caliper too so riding the brake recommendation is a great idea. It looks like rain all day tomorrow but I can do the brake test, regardless. The road right behind me accented the problem so I'll do that and post the result.

Thanks again.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
torsion bars are always under tension, I would not expect them to clunk.
get a large rubber hammer, or a block of wood and bang on stuff.

for testing purposes you can remove the sway bar end links.

grab a big friend and rock the truck. open the doors and push on the roof. you'll have more leverage there.
hey, at least it's a cheap test :icon_thumby:

RobinV

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I've been dealing with a clunking noise. I have the torsion bar front suspension. I referenced this entire thread and focused on this comment from that post: Front Sway Bar Stabilizer or possible ball joint issue . | Page 3 | The Ranger Station. I'm not dealing with steering issues, just the 'clunk'.

I first noticed this clunk around 2008 when the weight on the suspension was lessened (e.g. after cresting a hill or encountering a drop off).

All front sway bar bushings have been replaced according the instructions posted in that thread. It has quieted down a lot but there's still a noticeable clunk coming from the same place, specially at slow speeds on bumpy roads (15-20mph). I grabbed the torsion bar and shook the hell out of it but no clunk. I tried 'plucking' the parking brake cable just in case. Again, nothing. I can't reproduce the noise unless the truck is in motion and getting jossled over a bumpy road.

Since the clunk is the same as it was when she was 4yrs old and only lessened after the new bushings, I need to look further. I'm suspecting ball joints but find that reason almost impossible. A 4yr old vehicle usually doesn't encounter ball joint problems and the noise sounds the same as it did then?

She's close to turning 100k miles. I would suspect them to be worn by now but again, it sounds the same as I remember in 2008. I also had 2 shops look at it and neither one can find the source of the noise. I had one shop realign the front suspension last year after changing the shocks. No mention of ball joints then either. I would have expected they were checked as part of the alignment effort?

Hoping someone out here might have some ideas of what to check next before I jump into ball joints. It seems like the next logical step but wanted to ask before diving in with both feet. TIA.
We found the bolts from transmission to frame had worked them selves loose.. might check your motor mounts.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15
Thank you both and yes on both tips. Whatever it is it's heavy (i.e. clunk not clank). It sounds similar to a loose brake caliper but that's been checked. The Tranny and motor mounts never have. It's a manual and I tried to grab second more than once.

Thanks for the tips. I will check the tranny and motor mounts before I start tearing things apart.

UPDATE: I tried the 'loose caliper test' by dragging the break. Still present. I have a lift next Monday and Tuesday if I need it. On my list to check is:
Ball Joints (pry bar test)
Tie Rod Ends (inner and outer)
Tranny mount
Cross member bolts
Motor mounts

Anything else to add while she's up?

It was interesting to observe that the noise became increasingly noticeable after a few miles, as opposed to just starting out where it was negligible.

We found the bolts from transmission to frame had worked them selves loose.. might check your motor mounts.

grab a big friend and rock the truck. open the doors and push on the roof. you'll have more leverage there.

Last edited:

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15

Installed full set of sway bar bushings on Wed. Noise is still there :(. Thanks just the same.

txsleds

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70R15
Installed full set of sway bar bushings on Wed. Noise is still there :(. Thanks just the same.
I have the same problem with my 2005 STX w/Coil Spring suspension & 83K miles. Took a look and my lower ball joints need replacing. I went to the MOOG website and looked up the parts to overhaul the suspension and steering components. It is most cost effective to replace the complete lower and upper control arms with new bushings and ball joints already installed versus the labor to disassemble, remove worn parts, install new parts, then reassemble and realign. I used the FORD WORKSHOP MANUAL to read the step-by-step procedures to ensure I identified all the small parts I would have overlooked. You can find MOOG parts at other retailers like https://www.summitracing.com/ and https://www.rockauto.com/ and compare prices. Here's the MOOG link: Premium Steering & Suspension Parts | Moog-Suspension-Parts.com . Hope this Scotty Kilmer video helps:

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15
I have the same problem with my 2005 STX w/Coil Spring suspension & 83K miles. Took a look and my lower ball joints need replacing. I went to the MOOG website and looked up the parts to overhaul the suspension and steering components. It is most cost effective to replace the complete lower and upper control arms with new bushings and ball joints already installed versus the labor to disassemble, remove worn parts, install new parts, then reassemble and realign. I used the FORD WORKSHOP MANUAL to read the step-by-step procedures to ensure I identified all the small parts I would have overlooked. You can find MOOG parts at other retailers like https://www.summitracing.com/ and https://www.rockauto.com/ and compare prices. Here's the MOOG link: Premium Steering & Suspension Parts | Moog-Suspension-Parts.com . Hope this Scotty Kilmer video helps:
Thanks for the ideas. That's my next move.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals