• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help me help an old lady ?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70R15
The point at which I’m referring to seeing the no fuel pressure at is right beside the fuel injector damper, it’s a valve like a tire valve on the fuel rail. If I’m correct it’s suppose to be about 65psi pressured up. Mine shoots like it’s 65psi. Her fuel pressure at the rail is...well how would I say this... It’s. Shit. Now if I’m looking at the wrong area shout me out because previously I used the fuel rail when figuring out my fuel pump situation when mine was about to take a dump for good.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
No thats the right area.

The only real options you have is a kinked line, weak pump, or clogged filter. Pretty cut n dried.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, I would agree

Pressure should be 55psi, and the description of "shoots up to hood" would be good pressure, much better that "crap" diagnoses, :)

So I would investigate the pump if filter is new

Not sure I understand "he reversed the fuel line"?

The filter should have 3 connections
One from pump
One Return to tank(off center on filter)
One to engine

The Return to tank line has a fuel pressure regulator on it that is IN the tank on the assembly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70R15
Yes, I would agree

Pressure should be 55psi, and the description of "shoots up to hood" would be good pressure, much better that "crap" diagnoses, :)

So I would investigate the pump if filter is new

Not sure I understand "he reversed the fuel line"?

The filter should have 3 connections
One from pump
One Return to tank(off center on filter)
One to engine

The Return to tank line has a fuel pressure regulator on it that is IN the tank on the assembly
@rustyolranger right it’s pretty straight forward is what I thought. And yes I’ve made myself familiar with the fuels lines previously. the lines im talking talking about are the 2 that run from the fuel filter to the fuel pump. The clips on the one end of the lines that connect to the fuel pump need a special fuel line tool to disconnect, and on the other end of the lines that are suppose to be connecting to the fuel filter are some connectors that are fairly easy to remove and replace, well her bf has the ends of those lines backward. The clips that require a tool to remove are on the filter instead of the fuel pump. I’m hoping it’s something along the lines of a kinked line like you said. Which is entirely possible since he broke a whole lot just to change the fuel pump

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I may be mistaken but I don't believe you actually need the tool for those lines. There should be a tab you press, then push in and pull out. At least that's how all the fuel and evap lines are on my 09. They may have updated them between 01 and 09 though...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You need to pull the bed back or lift the front of the bed up to access fuel pump area, for DIY

If you have a shop with a lift and transmission jack you can lower the gas tank down to service pump
If you try to lower tank without these you will end up with what you may have, problems with the lines

The bed has 6 T-55 bolts and 3 phillips screws for the filler neck, thats all that needs to be done to move the bed
If you are sliding the bed back then unplug the tail lights
If lifting front of bed up, put the 2 rear T-55 bolts back in to stop it from sliding, tail lights don't need to be unplugged

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70R15
You need to pull the bed back or lift the front of the bed up to access fuel pump area, for DIY

If you have a shop with a lift and transmission jack you can lower the gas tank down to service pump
If you try to lower tank without these you will end up with what you may have, problems with the lines

The bed has 6 T-55 bolts and 3 phillips screws for the filler neck, thats all that needs to be done to move the bed
If you are sliding the bed back then unplug the tail lights
If lifting front of bed up, put the 2 rear T-55 bolts back in to stop it from sliding, tail lights don't need to be unplugged
I’ve done the fuel pump previously on my own ranger. I have an a-frame, come along, and some trailer straps rated for 1200 pounds. Much easier pulling bed I think

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70R15
I may be mistaken but I don't believe you actually need the tool for those lines. There should be a tab you press, then push in and pull out. At least that's how all the fuel and evap lines are on my 09. They may have updated them between 01 and 09 though...
Maybe that’s where I went wrong last time ??‍♂ Lol had to push the tab in wards so it’d expand and I could pull the line off. was using a funny looking tool for fuel lines but it was just a hair too big and too small to fit around the line and still be able to fit inside to press the tab back, used a flat head instead after an hour of trying to get it off

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals