• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help Please!!

rangerDanny

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I recently purchased a 4r55e for my 2001 ranger. It is a complete reman that was bench tested with new converter. I got a great deal on Ebay. The seller had ordered it for his 1998 explorer.I thought I covered everything as far as Compatibility.. come to find out the 1998 version does not have or use a input or output sensor. Any suggestions on how I can make this tranny work in my 2001 4x4 4.0l ranger. Its allready bolted in. Can I use my old output sensor and make a mount to use the drivshaft as a pickup? And will it be ok with out the input sensor?? Thanks for any help!!

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Welcome to the site. I can't help with your question but I sure someone will have an answer for you.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Interesting. The bolts you added act as some type of input. I don't know what or how that sensor works, must be magnetic?

rangerDanny

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Interesting. The bolts you added act as some type of input. I don't know what or how that sensor works, must be magnetic?
Yes magnetic, so I needed 8, the high spots for drive shaft bolts are 4, the 1/4 inch bolts(7/16 head) are the other 4. So far it works Great!! Speedo is only off by 5 mph, and its the same before the swap, because of tire size. I got the Remanufactured Tranny for 1400 bucks delivered!! So I was bound and determined to make it work!! Without an ECM and harness swap🤪

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I gotta hand it to you, that's a very creative way to make it work.

rangerDanny

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
great work-around for the fix. I would advise you to put self locking nuts on those bolts.

rangerDanny

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
great work-around for the fix. I would advise you to put self locking nuts on those bolts.
Thanks, and yes I am going to make the bracket stronger with 2 mounting points, and red locktight the 4 bolts I added and cut the flush with the nut, also prolly add a guard under the yoke. This was a guick fab, honestly I was sceptical that it would work. Put 100 miles on my ranger yesterday, tranny works GREAT!!! Downshifts as it should, cruise control works, I am thinking the builder modified the shifts, it hits like a shift kit in an old chevy! When you give it the wood! And shifts smooth under normal driving.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
good job. thats a normal fix on some other vehicles for swaps too but most of hte time they add washers to the drive shaft as the teeth for the hall sensor to read. your bolt idea is way better though.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
In the 70's/early 80's we would tape magnets to the driveshaft for a sensor to read the speed when we installed add-on cruise control. The magnets and reinforced tape came in the cruise kits. I'd probably get 4 more of the flange bolts and cut them down to length instead of using the smaller bolts and nuts. A drop of Locktite will make sure they don't back out. I like seeing people do things that "can't be done".

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals