• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

help with throttle body

Vicreo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi to all from mexico, got some premblem's, my 1989 4wll with 2.9l manual, yesterday the motor star to run high revs, so what I did was to disconnect a vacuum line, the rpm went down but next problem was it star to make off idle, it sound like the motor was stroker, black smoke came off the tailpipe, check the vacuum hoses and the vacuum plug's all good, any what more can I check or clean, so diced it to clean the throttle body but can fine in mexico the gasket, what can I use, this guy from the autozone recommend me a copper spray a gasket? any other options for gasket.
this is what I unplug, only the vacuum line. what it is? thank's for any help.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
That looks like the map sensor. Unplugging that will cause exactly the symptoms you describe.

If the engine is revving high at idle, the IAC (idle air control) is the first thing id look at. Its on the passenger side of the motor, up on the plenium (part that says "2.9L electronic fuel injection), itll have 2 bolts holding it on and a plug running to it.

Pull it off and try cleaning it with throttle body cleaner and reinstall it and see if that helps ya.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Your air filter isn't attached to anything...

Vicreo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That looks like the map sensor. Unplugging that will cause exactly the symptoms you describe.

If the engine is revving high at idle, the IAC (idle air control) is the first thing id look at. Its on the passenger side of the motor, up on the plenium (part that says "2.9L electronic fuel injection), itll have 2 bolts holding it on and a plug running to it.

Pull it off and try cleaning it with throttle body cleaner and reinstall it and see if that helps ya.
thank's, last night got to do some work, remove the throttle body, the map sensor, and the iac, clean the throttle body, and got to the part of the iac and was wondering with wath can I clean it, gonna clean it tomorrow, thank's for answering my call rusty.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I thought about cleaning mine once but the Ford manual said to use carbarator cleaner, fully submerse it, etc etc. That would require the large can of cleaner which was $35, and a new one was closer to 50, but still I just got a new one

Vicreo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I thought about cleaning mine once but the Ford manual said to use carbarator cleaner, fully submerse it, etc etc. That would require the large can of cleaner which was $35, and a new one was closer to 50, but still I just got a new one
mmm good point there.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
uhmm, hey, it didn't do me any good, apparently there was some other problem, I don't remember now
You might find gasket material in a roll which you'll have to cut to fit whatever it was for

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The throttle body on an 89 can be cleaned with anything from brake cleaner to starting fluid. Even gasoline works fine. Just spray and scrub with a toothbrush. Only more modern throttle bodies require a special cleaner.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
thank's, last night got to do some work, remove the throttle body, the map sensor, and the iac, clean the throttle body, and got to the part of the iac and was wondering with wath can I clean it, gonna clean it tomorrow, thank's for answering my call rusty.
For the IAC just spray throttle body cleaner down inside of it, soak the piss out of it, pour it out then shoot a healthy dose of WD-40 (or similar spray lube) in it and hook it back up.

Sometimes though an IAC cant be saved and must be replaced, but if this procedure helps (or hurts) at all you got a solid place to start.

Vicreo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
ok got the IAC out and clean with some carb cleaner and petrol, was really dirty, all black inside, stay tune.

Vicreo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Got it clean, but I will install it tomorrow, got some nasty weather right now, raining hard right now

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals