• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hi! 98 xlt 4x4 single cab long bed 4.0ohv here

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 V6 245 cid. Rebuilt long block with performance grade aftermarket internals.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
None
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
245/75R16
Hello my name is Devon I'm a welder and diesel mechanic and I'm fairly new here! I never realized how huge the ranger community is!

I've got a rust free 98 4.0 ranger, 4x4, rebuilt transmission, 233,000+ on the chassis and a little over 2,000+ on the motor. Ive browsed for sometime and made a post a month or so ago about having some issues with my ranger.

Still fighting with that! This is my first Ranger and my first Ranger rebuild. I didn't do the block or heads but I rebuilt from there up. I've rebuilt diesels and V8s, but never a ranger or V6.

When I got it it had 224,000 and I put 10k miles on it before it started giving me issues, either a rod bearing or a wrist pin, knocked like it was going to come apart.

New long block, rebuilt from there up. Ran like crap right after I reinstalled the motor. Mice made a nest in the airbox and plugged it up. Fixed that. A melted cat and plugged cat. Fixed that. New o2s, new injectors, new gaskets, new sensors, seafoam, etc...

This thing is new from the oilpan to the paint on the hood but still is giving me fits!

It starts like a new vehicle and sounds like a new vehicle but does not run like one. It ran fine for the engine break in period. 1500 miles in and it was all looking great had tons of power and pep.

Then it started as a slight shudder at low RPMs and progressed from there. Thought is was transmission but all is well with it. The RPMs would surge on deceleration and it felt sluggish. Changed oil and cleaned everything out, little seafoam and some tlc and it ran fine again for about a month.

As of now it idels fine but after warm up it starts surgeing or shuddering and blows black smoke and smells like it's covered from head to toe in gas. Flame comes out the tailpipe like someone dumped gas into the end of the tailpipe and lit it.

I've replaced almost everything from front to back on the motor and the exhaust system. I'm down to a leaking injector(s) a MAF sensor, wiring issues (darn mice) or maybe fuel tank and it's components.

I'm ready to pull my hair out!

So that's my ranger and Is journey so far ? if anyone has any tips or questions or has one with the same motor feel free to ask or say.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
Howdy! Sorry I don't have any answers to your issues but I do have the same year and engine as you. Mines running quite well with 182k. I've had it since 03 and it had about 60k when I bought it from the dealer that sold it new. I don't baby it and currently drive it around 200-250 miles a week. Only things I've done to the engine was replace the plugs at around 100k. Always thought I would have blown it up by now, but I've been "unsuccessful". I've thought about freshening it up but will probably go V8 when I do kill it. That was always the plan.

Mines had that marbly sound for over 100k and frequent carbon knock that I try to treat regularly. Winter gas makes it way worse.

Hopefully some of the experts here can help with your current issues.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals