• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

High side AC port leaking

vbrad511

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Went to check/charge my AC today and when I pulled the quick-connect off the high side the valve wouldn't seal. I believe I've found the replacement service ports on RockAuto, but is there a way fix this without tearing into the system? I really don't want to open it up.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
No there isn't. That valve is what holds the refrigerant in. There is no way to service it without venting the system.

vbrad511

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No there isn't. That valve is what holds the refrigerant in. There is no way to service it without venting the system.
Bummer. I was really hoping there was some sort of adapter to clip on the port...more of a permanent kind of thing. I left the quick-connect on it, and it's got it sealed up. Hopefully it'll last until I can get the replacement parts here.
Thanks

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Schrader valve is hissing? Try a long nail or ice pick (blunt end) put right on the depressor pin, give it a quick tap so it pops open and the refrigerant pressure snaps it back up. Sometimes has to be done two or three times to get it to seal, if it still doesn't seal, it's obviously bad, You've probably lost most of the R charge already.
Or you can get one of these and see if it's loose. https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/factory-air-large-bore-2-piece-service-port-valve-core-remover-installer-59302/5705568-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=5705568-P&adtype=pla_with_promotion&gclid=Cj0KCQjwmPPYBRCgARIsALOziAOejJos_wRjnXuVMEPcmsqHJpHW51Gi-yLUIncb4TdJaKuqGd4ilsAaAlmHEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#

Last edited:

vbrad511

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Schrader valve is hissing? Try a long nail or ice pick (blunt end) put right on the depressor pin, give it a quick tap so it pops open and the refrigerant pressure snaps it back up. Sometimes has to be done two or three times to get it to seal, if it still doesn't seal, it's obviously bad, You've probably lost most of the R charge already.
Or you can get one of these and see if it's loose. https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/factory-air-large-bore-2-piece-service-port-valve-core-remover-installer-59302/5705568-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=5705568-P&adtype=pla_with_promotion&gclid=Cj0KCQjwmPPYBRCgARIsALOziAOejJos_wRjnXuVMEPcmsqHJpHW51Gi-yLUIncb4TdJaKuqGd4ilsAaAlmHEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#
I already tried several times to get it "pop" back in place. Doesn't work. I'm pretty sure I overtightened the gauge adapter and ruined the valve. And it's not a typical schrader valve. They say it's a "ball-style". It's not removable, short of replacing the port itself. I'll hit the local dealer tomorrow and see if they've got it in stock. Thanks though...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I hate those. They suck.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
I'm probably too late but....
there is tool to do this.
I saw my home AC guy do it once years ago.
here is an example:
https://www.amazon.com/Mastercool-81490-R134A-Remover-Installer/dp/B000KITSMI
I went on about that particular connection on my own post about my truck. it's a poppet type Schrader valve cannot be replaced, just replace the line set it's not expensive.
I just got the delivery a day ago.

The new lines have real Schrader valves that are replaceable

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals