• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

hobbies..am i just getting to old??

chittybangbang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Same here. Liked Railroads for as long as I can remember. Now, I can combine the two by using my Ranger to explore old abandoned railways and look for different views of current ones.
Better yet.Convert the ranger to a hi-rail 4x4

EljayK004

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
your just getting old. Just kidding. My big problem with hobbies is the "new" wears off and it's just not as much fun anymore.l

monkey19

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I guess we have all been there at one time or another, the good thing is that after reading all of the replies I suddenly feel like dropping some coin into my ranger!

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
But even in the 4x4 world you can go through the same thing. Like me some months I mod the Explorer and other months I will wrench on the Ranger(looking at 347ing a 69 302 I have,by the way), and other months I would rather take a beating than even look at them. I still have all my R/C stuff and when the kids get a little older I will break it out and we will play with it. Needs change, you change, your world around you changes. Just my thoughts..

gozz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
New Hobby?

Look up geocaching, you can combine off-roading with treasure hunting. www.geocaching.com

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
hobbys

i tend to agree with what everyone has said about hobbies. they come and go for many reasons, money, time, general intrests etc. i just recently sold my ranger and am taking a break from wheeling my personal vehicles for a time so i can take care of some educational and finacial issues so that i can establish the more important things in my life. i will return to off roading and general fun with vehicles but who knows when that will be. when i get my first commission from being a real estate agent i may go out and get another 4x4. it all depends on if things fall into place or not. 4x4s will be one of my main sources of fun for all times if i can afford it. hobbies are nothing more than a source of fun and entertainment and they shure as hell beat sitting in front of the TV!

chuck

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I said a few years ago that I'd move up to a real boat from the jetski when I turned 50.
Took a long ride on Monday, being a holiday there were a lot of boats out so the water was pretty choppy and it beat the snot out of me. I might be moving up sooner.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I built a little tugboat, a kayak, and am building 3 little kid-sized row boats.

I'm building one of these right now. I try to do at least an hour a day no matter what. Today I laminted the stem together and sawed out the transom knee. The frames are done. Tomorrow I'll cut out the transom and frame it in. I'm planning to dump it in the Ohio river in Madison with my dad next spring and show up at my in-laws condo on Sanibel a couple weeks later.

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have been in the old engoine hobby since I was about 5 years old. it's finally getting to the point that it can be more of a PITA to get things done and goto shows. i just spent over $1500 to restore a McCormick Deering M that I got for $200. I Tell you what though....When that engine starts of the first time in 50+ years, it still feels like I did when I was 10 and i got that lawnmower engine running for the first time.

With work and some other parts of my life, it's getting harder to work on stuff, but when I get the time, it's still fun. my biggest problem is that I clean and fix stuff all day/night at work and I just don't feel like working on stuff when I get home at night/ morning.

I also work with Solar power/ alternative energy. I love thinking about and working with my system. What gets to me there is the politics and legal crap sometimes involved.

I like programming old computers and stuff...

Then I also like to go wheeling...Truck or 4 wheeler...and i'd like to work with a boat again...

and on and on it goes.

You might find yourself going back and forth between some things. it's about having fun, remember?

:icon_cheers:

Paul

Carlos Murphy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hobbies

I raced r/c "pavement" cars about 25 years ago, raced r/c outboard tunnel hulls bout 20 years ago, had a 70 Honda SL 350-K dirt bike (new), a 71 Norton Commando (new) a 81 Honda CBX and still have a 87 Harley FXR since 89.
Been flying R/C planes for 20 years and am getting burned out.
Have been playing with guns for 20 years, Cowboy Action Shooting since 90, last year I got into off roading with my 88 Ranger and that is really keeping my interest, thinking bout a crawler .
Retired 4 years ago (early) from wrenching on BMW's for 33 years so all I do now is WHEEL and SHOOT and reload ammo.
Almost forgot, I've built a dune buggy in the early 70's with a 1500cc pancake engine in it and a BMW 2002 dirt track car in the mid 80's for the "foreign stock" class at Baylands Raceway park in Fremont Ca. now closed.
For 15 years I was 1/2 owner of a Cherokee 180 airplane.
I'm 63 years old and never been married, maybe that splanes all the toys...:icon_confused:

Last edited:

southernlifttruck41

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I was a aircraft structural mech. in the navy. I have built and desined my own airplane. Yes it did fly....It was the most excitement I have ever had. Leaving the ground not knowing if you or the plane would still be in one piece when you come back down. My plane was not sertified for flight and I had never flown before. I flew that old plane for about a year till a storm destroyed it. Then I went and got my solo licence. I built that plane when I was 15 years old. My mother and father let me build it because Thay thought it would never leave the ground.....Now I build R/C planes and think how lucky I am to still be around. P.S. I am now 44 years old.......

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Yep, Yep, I have a 500cc Utility ATV in the garage I used to love riding. Now it just seems like it is such a PITA to load it up, drag it 50 miles to a suitable riding spot. If I lived on a farm it would be gravy, but as it stands it gets most of its use plowing snow.

I also bought one of those Wally Crawlers a while back. It was awesome for about 60 minutes and then I lost interest.

I keep eyeing this but I know it would be the same way.

I just have too much I am trying to save for at this point in my life.

Apollo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1

I'm kicking around the idea of doing the Harley thing next year, but I'm afraid I won't have time to enjoy that either.
same here. im putting a down payment on my first bike tomorrow. first thing im doing is taking a long drive up to moab and taking in the scenery

badmts

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have not even turned on my E MAXX in over a year.We are into wheeling now and I love it.See the outdoors ,actually loose a little weight climbing in and out of truck. My last 3 hobbies were R/C cars,POKER and street racing-none of which are as fun as wheelin my Ranger

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
i know what you mean i have a tamiya clod buster rc monser truck and it was fun to use it for 6 or 7 months then one day it just got to be more of a pain then fun any more now it sits on a shelf and the rc hobbie is geting so expensive now its crazy

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals