• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hood shocks

RangerFan1967

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Does anyone know why they stopped putting the shocks under the hood after the 2021 model and put a prop rod back under the hood? Was there a problem with them or was it strictly a money thing?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Does anyone know why they stopped putting the shocks under the hood after the 2021 model and put a prop rod back under the hood? Was there a problem with them or was it strictly a money thing?
Seems like a supply chain/money issue. As far as I know, there is no issue with the hood struts themselves.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Can also be from ligher weight and weaker hoods than needed better "crumple zone" areas from side to side which make them too weak, so they can bend in the middle if using struts at the rear when you push them closed

On longer hoods that was an issue, also happened with the old spring setups when crumple zones were first mandated
Safety first :)

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Neither my 98 Ranger or my 07 Mustang had hood shocks, prop rods only. My 04 Lightning? I have a fairly heavy steel hood, and even after market "heavy duty" hood shocks won't hold it up. So, I have a really super nice carbon fiber hood prop rod for use at car shows, and just for working on it.
01010045.jpg

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Money is my bet.

The rangers have been pretty aggressively de-contented since their re-introduction in the states. Little things the beancounters found would save millions, which ford desperately needed.. and still needs sadly.

The PRNDS by the shifter used to be back-lit, there used to be a trim ring around the ignition cylinder, the ecoboost badging is now gone, engine covers gone, hood dampers gone, 2 less tie-downs in the bed, glove box damper... the complete list is seriously impressive.. IIRC there's over 2 dozen features that have been deleted.. a good portion of them before covid was ever an issue too.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Money is my bet.

The rangers have been pretty aggressively de-contented since their re-introduction in the states. Little things the beancounters found would save millions, which ford desperately needed.. and still needs sadly.

The PRNDS by the shifter used to be back-lit, there used to be a trim ring around the ignition cylinder, the ecoboost badging is now gone, engine covers gone, hood dampers gone, 2 less tie-downs in the bed, glove box damper... the complete list is seriously impressive.. IIRC there's over 2 dozen features that have been deleted.. a good portion of them before covid was ever an issue too.
Mine is old enough that it has rocker panel plugs.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Money is my bet.

I never paid attention the PRNDS to see if it’s backlit. Mine does not have the trim ring around the ignition cylinder. It does have all 6 bed tie downs. it didn’t come with the engine cover but it’s an XL with the STX & FX4 package. The XL didn’t come with the cover from the beginning. As far as the rocker plugs, I never looked. When I’m under there, I’ve been on a mission. So, the thought never crossed my mind to look.

It is an earlier 2019 (June). I ordered it in September but it got lost in the system. So got reordered again in either In November or December.

I’m still of the opinion that Ford begrudgingly brought the Ranger back. Sure they pushed it the first year but I think that was more to recoup their investment than because they were fully behind bringing it back. They want to sell F-150s and Rangers take away from that.

I think the Bronco got and is getting better support than Ranger has. Once again, the Ranger is the red headed step child of the fleet.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I never paid attention the PRNDS to see if it’s backlit. Mine does not have the trim ring around the ignition cylinder. It does have all 6 bed tie downs. it didn’t come with the engine cover but it’s an XL with the STX & FX4 package. The XL didn’t come with the cover from the beginning. As far as the rocker plugs, I never looked. When I’m under there, I’ve been on a mission. So, the thought never crossed my mind to look.

It is an earlier 2019 (June). I ordered it in September but it got lost in the system. So got reordered again in either In November or December.

I’m still of the opinion that Ford begrudgingly brought the Ranger back. Sure they pushed it the first year but I think that was more to recoup their investment than because they were fully behind bringing it back. They want to sell F-150s and Rangers take away from that.

I think the Bronco got and is getting better support than Ranger has. Once again, the Ranger is the red headed step child of the fleet.

I'm of the same opinion for the most part.

But then ford goes and says they aren't gonna be able to make base/everglades/manual broncos until September or something so they can set things up for the '24 Ranger 🙄

Last I read they still need to make something like 50-60k broncos just to get caught up..

CMOS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic

Fully agree. I have said this for years. I don't see commercials for the Ranger, and as stated above, the gradual removal of small, needed features.

To note: The modern Ford Ranger boasts these specs:
Best in class fuel economy.
Best in class engine torque.
Best in class towing capacity.
Best in class payload.

So why the hell isn't Ford jumping up and down shouting the benefits of these Rangers!?

[crickets]

CMOS

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals