• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How can I pull the most HP out of my stock 2.9?

Bumpinpioneer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 89 B2 that is pretty much bone stock other then a home made cold air intake. What are some easy upgrades to suck more HP out of it. I heard that performance plugs, bigger plug wires and a nice coil help some. Thanks.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
the easiest way to get more power is to replace it with a 4.0. she's already pumping about as much as you're gonna get without a serious engine rebuild.

jhammel85

the easiest way to get more power is to replace it with a 4.0. she's already pumping about as much as you're gonna get without a serious engine rebuild.
Ditto. I was going to say the same thing. Just run it as is and enjoy what the 2.9 puts out....As long as it's not white smoke! :D

They're a good motor (in my opinion).

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 4.0 is a direct bolt in. Its got all the power and a lil more than the B2 needs. Its even better with a 5 speed behind it.

jamie4ltr

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Put lower gears in your diffs!!! This will give more hp and tourqe at the wheels (which is where it counts!). From my personal experiences with both 2.9ltr and 4.0ltr (same block-bored out,bigger heads/intake) the 2.9ltr is tougher and more reliable. I couldn't kill my 2.9ltr. I Had it in a 2wd, then I put it in a 4x4 with 33x12.5 boggers then 35x12.5 mt's all with stock 3.73 gears. This was over about 4 years. Since doing a 4.0ltr swap about 4 years ago (and regearing my diffs 2 years ago-4.56 gears) I'm on my 3rd 4.0ltr! The 2.9ltr loves high rpm's (me too) but the 4.0ltr has roughly 70 ft/lbs. more tourqe. I regret not regearing my diffs before I did a 4.0ltr swap. Look at what size tires the Toyota 22R spins and what they climb with the proper gearing.

elpoffroad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I love my 2.9, when i rebuilt it i ported the intake manifold and cleaned up the casting on the heads. Its a very slight difference but i had 37s on 3.73 and it wasnt fast by any means but it was good enough for tracking around town, also have a msd coil, msd wires a cold air and 2.5 exhaust with flowmaster muffler. Now i have 4.88 and love it !!!! So bang for buck gears everything else is nominal:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals