• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How many miles is a 4.0 good for?

theAntihero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 ohv
Transmission
Manual
249k on my 00 explorer, 241 on my 91 ranger, both OHV

FatboyDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I can do it fast, or I can do it right... what's your pleasure?
My "newest" 4.0 machine, the 93 ranger has 112.6k on it. My old 91 "Exploder" (family nickname) I gave to my mother has 3xx,xxx on the clock and still going, though it now needs injectors.

stsalvage

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
i have 2 ranger
Make / Model
Ranger XLT exte
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Manual
4.0 milage

My 4.0 has been in my 1991 ranger sense 2005 it was token from a 1997 ford explorer that had 29,000.I've started out with 65000 on the gauge now i'm flited it ones to 000000 now i'm at 10000 now.But no long distance driving.But i do tow a 14X5 R&R old rental tandem trailer hauling scrap metal for the last 18 year's.I've been told if you changed the oil and drain the radiator ever year and stay on top of the maintenance I've been told sense its fuel injected It can last upwards to 500K or longer the 4.0 did not have the problems the 3.0 with weak heads

The early 4.0 had a problem with oil pumps and sunken valves.

But do the full maintenance every 80K that hoses water pump valve covers Even your fuel injectors and the O2 plugs autolites plug wires the radiator If its been in there 3 years swap it for a new one Plastic dose not hold up well over time

the Fan clutch and the plastic fan it gets checks in it change it.

Do your brakes when your suppose to.Drain a refill you rear end oil.

sense the std trans uses trans oil Just keep a eye on the leavel see if the oil is turning brown then change it Automatics 80K drop the pan and drain the oil put a new filter in put new fluid in Check your truckl for leak around the yoke it likes to leak there.

Be a gauge watcher are trucks are special they come with a full gauge package.Its not the trucks fualt if it blows up on you.

It give you amp warring before it goes remember to flush the heater core.If you have the copper and brass heater core keep it ther better then the alum ones cus you can have them rodded out by a radiator shop they last long time.

The rangers that come with the 4.0 and std trans is a good combo they last a long time.

Jamesegnacxc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
368,668 original motor transmission, second owner, regular maintenance, truck runs as good as the day it was drove off the lot. This is a 94 automatic splash. Truck refuses to die.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
My 93 4x with the 4.0 ohv was my favorite truck (and vehicle) ever. Only issue I ever really had with the motor was the fuel rail gasket failed and it had a hell of a vacuum leak. Used very little oil between changes, high teens in mpg (super cab, manual trans, 3.73’s) I’m not sure that I’d want a ohc 4.0 but I’d gladly have another ohv. Mine was almost at 180K when I retired it. It literally did everything I ever asked of it.

Kroeter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0
Transmission
Manual
My 97’ just turned over 272,000

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals