• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How much should I charge for a resto?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Current shop rates at near $100 an hour these days... even if you did it half that... you would have about 40 hours to complete.
$100 is light, most are over that.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
We all know you don't get your money back on a project like this so the guy should already know that a 30 yr old truck with issues and age is going to be costly to get done right and add AC to it. It's not going to be cheap and I would say he would have about 5-7k in it after parts and labor given that you are pretty re-doing the engine, steering, suspension and possibly interior stuff to get away with a half-restoration. You are going to have to figure out the labor part of it. Only you can decide what your time and skills are worth to a friend. I would say have your friend give you a $3k budget (for parts only) to start with and get the major stuff done like the oil leaks, new suspension/steering components, install AC, and other things to make it ride good. I wouldn't charge him by the hour. We don't ever try to say "dollars per hour" because people lose their head when you say "our rate is $139/hr". It's easier to give them the total amount due. Just let him know it WILL be expensive and it WILL take time.

OldMan2

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Do your best to be your best.
Is your friend wanting it painted too?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
If you insist on flat rating the thing at least break it down a bit... Say $500 to go through and reseal the engine and clean up the engine bay, for example. Another $500 to go through the front end. Or whatever. Just do a little at a time and let him know what the next step is and how much it will cost. I think that's fair for both parties and you can continue or call it quits at any time without hurt feelings.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

evintho

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Is your friend wanting it painted too?
Yes, and that would be a completely separate charge.

If you insist on flat rating the thing at least break it down a bit... Say $500 to go through and reseal the engine and clean up the engine bay, for example. Another $500 to go through the front end. Or whatever. Just do a little at a time and let him know what the next step is and how much it will cost. I think that's fair for both parties and you can continue or call it quits at any time without hurt feelings.
I was thinking more like $1000 to R&R the motor/trans, reseal the engine and clean up the engine bay. That would also include replacing wear items such as timing chain/gears, oil pump (while I'm in there), valve job (unless heads are cracked), water pump, freeze plugs and flush water jackets, etc. Probably a good time to replace heater and EVAP cores also. Most of the expense would be labor. Another $500 for suspension/brake work. At $1500 total labor I figure I'm way over on the cheap side.

$100 is dealer rate around me.
$160 is more the dealer rate here on the left coast.

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It seems to me that your consious in set in the $100/hr range.
Go with your gut.

captainhero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'd also timebox the work - say for example maximum 1 month. You don't want to start finding issues that you feel you have to fix for your friend that make the project drag on forever. If anything goes bad and require extra work then you can discuss how much more that's going to cost. Biggest issue i see is letting the "friendship" make you do things that you will regret.

OldMan2

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Do your best to be your best.
I suggest doing a thorough check for rust before investing money into something too rusty to last. I see where rust is a serious issue with older Rangers. Mine doesn't have much, but I just spent $600 removing part of the roof and drip edge on both sides of truck and having the roof repainted. I'm either NUTS or IN LOVE.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals