• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How To: 130 amp alternator in a 2.9

SmokeEater829

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
Subscribed. Gotta keep track of this post. Might need to add one for my aux. lighting and running a winch!

94xlt4.0

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Subscribed. Gotta keep track of this post. Might need to add one for my aux. lighting and running a winch!
i highly recommend it, a new or reman alternator is kinda expensive for the 130amp ones but a junkyard or ebay find will definitely do the job at least for a while

NEALD

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Another thanks for writing this article. I just finisher my 130a swap. I used the same Mr gasket universal alt bracket that you did but was wondering, did you have to re drill your bracket? I drilled a new mounting hole about 2" above the upper hole on the bracket. Maybe your b2 has a longer alt belt than mine. No sweat it was all worth it in the end. X2 on the ground cables. Grounding is a VERY important part of a vehicle. Make sure EVERYTHING has a good ground(engine/chassis/body,etc) in multiple places.

Broncojumper87

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Is there anything different i would have to do since I have the 4 liter starter?

94xlt4.0

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I didn't have to modify the bracket at all, and a 4.0 starter shouldn't change anything

Bill in Arizona

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 Ranger 4 x
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
We are men of action, words do not become us
I just changed over to an all aluminum 4.0 explorer radiator from amazon. Fits great. The alt is just a little too close to the upper hose. I am going to change to this bracket for the additional distance. Thanks for the great tip

rocks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Read this write up, got a 130amo alternator off of a 1997 mustang. It does not work. There is a difference between the windstar and mustang alternator. The pulley goes on the mustang one but the shaft is way to short and you won't be able to get the nut on. It may be possible to have the pulley machined down but then there could be an alignment problem. Vehicle used was a 1990 bronco ii with a 2.9.

rocks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Update you need an alternator off of a front wheel drive engine. 92-95 Taurus, Sable, windstar, 3.8 will work. The arm is a Mr gasket part that O'Reillys carrys. Also uses a power steering belt for the alternator. The stock one is way to short. Use the second hole in the bracket. Also pulled the wire off a Explorer 93-94 for the battery connection. Just strip it and it's separate. It comes with fuse able links already in it. Just splice the white wire, cut the connecter with the white wire in the junkyard and keep it.

rocks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mr gasket 9851 is the part number.

beardedfishwrangler

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys I had a quick question. My 86 2.9 alternator has 2 plugs. One is the normal d plug and then there is the square plug that I assume is plugged into the regulator. What am I supposed to do with the second plug? I saw one swap where I think I saw it just hanging around not plugged into anything. I have been using this site for years but never had to ask a question. Just want to give a shout out for all the great advice!

beardedfishwrangler

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I answered my previous question I believe. It looks like the second plug doesn't matter. I did the swap and wired it as shown. It went smoothly for a minute but it never cranked. I ended up losing power to the starter/cab/fuel pumps etc. I got a new solenoid and now I can get it to crank over and I have dummy lights that come on intermittently, but no other power. I feel pretty stupid right now. I have been trying to chase electrical gremlins from the yellow wire attached to the solonoid but haven't found anything but will keep looking. I don't know if I should be posting this somewhere else but didn't want someone to waste too much time responding to my previous question.

AceOfDiamonds0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If I can't figure out how to fix it, it's better off broken anyways...
Nice write up!

Can't see the pictures though. Photobucket's BS has blocked the pictures and those pics would be a huge help in the process!

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Nice write up!

Can't see the pictures though. Photobucket's BS has blocked the pictures and those pics would be a huge help in the process!
Check available plugins for your browser of choice. As far as I know, both Firefox and Chrome have add-ins that will work around the Photobucket restrictions. They may not work forever, but they'll get you going for the moment.

AceOfDiamonds0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If I can't figure out how to fix it, it's better off broken anyways...
Check available plugins for your browser of choice. As far as I know, both Firefox and Chrome have add-ins that will work around the Photobucket restrictions. They may not work forever, but they'll get you going for the moment.
Nice! I didn't even know about that! Now I can see stuff! Thanks!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals