• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to Mount a 7-pin trailer plug in the bumper

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Original Poster:* adsm08

Difficulty: 4 out of 10

Time to install:*Took me about 3 hours, but I kept getting interrupted.

Disclaimer: The Ranger*Station.com, The Ranger*Station.com*Staff, nor the original poster are responsible for you doing this modification to your vehicle. By doing this modification and following this how-to you, the installer, take full responsibility if anything is damaged or messed up. If you have questions, feel free to PM the original poster or ask in the appropriate section of The Ranger*Station.com*forums.

Brief Explanation: The idea of this write up is to show how to flush mount a 7-pin trailer connector into the rear bumper of 83-92 Rangers. It will probably work on other years, but I don't have those bumpers here to test that theory.

Tools Needed:
-*Drill/ good bits
-*Knife/box cutter
-*Good hole saw, 2 1/8 inch was the size I needed. Size it to the hole in your mounting bracket
-grinder (optional)
-screw driver
-socket set

Parts Needed:
-*7-pin plug kit. I used a Hopkins 7-pin/ flat 4 combo unit.
-Longer screws (optional)

---------------------------------------------------------

Step 1: Measure out the proper position of the hole for the plug itself.. I removed the cover to make the hole and then measured it out so those after me wouldn't have to.

Position of hole if you remove the cover:

Position of hole if you measure from the front:

This position is critical. Too far to the left and you hit a brace. Too far to the right and you have a carriage bolt in your way. This also puts it away from everything behind the bumper. This provides a lot of good protection because the curl of the bottom of the bumper is almost exactly the same length as the plug.

Measured with the tape hooked to the inboard edge of the over.

Measured with the tape hooked to the top edge of the cover.

Step 2: Cut the angle portion off the mounting bracket. (Optional)

Step 3: Once you have made your measurements use the hole saw to drill out the cover. In my case I had to use a different bit to drill through the bumper because the pilot on my hole saw sucks. I knew this going into it so I put the cover back on the bumper to make my pilot hole in the bumper at the same time.

Step 4: Next install the cover (if removed), install the plug in the bumper and use it's screw holes as a template to drill pilot holes for the screws.

The lower holes were more difficult because they landed right on the corner of where the bumper angles under the cover. I used the mounting bracket to help hold the drill bit stable.

Step 5: This is where things can go one of two ways. If you have longer screws just drill holes and install screws. If you are using the screws that came with the kit there is more to do. With the cover in place and the plug sitting over it the screws in the kit just sit flush with the metal of the bumper. This means the cover has to be cut out so the plug can sit in the hole and right against the metal.

NOTE: At this point you should have a circular hole in your plastic for the plug and 4 holes for the screws either way.

To cut the square hole out you should hold the plug in the hole with at least two screws in and trace it out. Then cut it out. I ended up using a die-grinder because I didn't have anything else good to use.

Once I had the hole cut I trimmed it back until the plug fit through easily. It was important in my case that it fit easily the whole way through because my base is tapered.

Step 6: Once the plug fits through your hole properly and easily install the plug on the bumper and put the screws in loosely. Then reinstall the bumper cover around the plug.

Wire as per kit instructions. My truck at a functional flat 4 already so I used a kit that plugs into an existing flat 4 for the lighting.

Test all functions for proper operation before towing.

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Looks good...another one of those projects I thought about doing some day.

Mine was a mess of wires that someone zip tied up to the bumper mounting hardware and I never touched but wanted to clean up and make it readily usable in case I needed it one day...

I did notice that Photobucket has placed pop-up ads on their site but it only slowed down the viewing a bit...so it is loading up your images OK...

:icon_thumby:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Looks good.
One problem I've run into when drilling chrome is the bits dull almost immediately. I solved that by using a grinder to remove a little bit of chrome in the spot I want to drill.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Looks good.
One problem I've run into when drilling chrome is the bits dull almost immediately. I solved that by using a grinder to remove a little bit of chrome in the spot I want to drill.
Yeah, drilling into chrome is tough on bits. The pilot for my hole saw has been shot for a long time, but my Snappy bits took it like a champ. As for my hole saw, it was an el-cheapo meant for wood. The metal bumper took the teeth off right away while the saw didn't even leave enough of a witness mark to see where it had been working.

I ultimately traced the outside of the hole saw, cut a cross in it with the grinder, then traced the edges of my circle with the grinder and beat the quarters in then ground the bends down. After all that I took a rasper to the edges and cleaned them up until the plug dropped in nicely.

I didn't include all that detail in the write up because I would hope anyone who tries this would have the sense to know how to cut a hole in something with the tools they have.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They chrome line rifle barrels to cut down on wear and heat related problems... in addition to being good for anti corrosion. Best thing going so far for hard use full auto operation.

Kinda crazy how much we take it for granted for "decorative" things on vehicles.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I would have borrowed a torch and just cut through with that...but the chrome would have taken a bit of a hit...not sure if it would have survived...never actually cut chrome parts with a torch...but it looks like the trim would cover any blemishes...or most of them.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would have borrowed a torch and just cut through with that...but the chrome would have taken a bit of a hit...not sure if it would have survived...never actually cut chrome parts with a torch...but it looks like the trim would cover any blemishes...or most of them.
Chrome exhaust stacks turn blue/purple if they are not lined and you get them good and hot.

I made one for my tractor, looked really nice until 1/2 way around the field pulling the disk it turned purple. :annoyed:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I thought about busting out the torch for this after the hole saw failed, especially because it was chilly out and I only had the bed in the garage, the cab was still outside, but I didn't think the hole would turn out clean enough.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Chrome exhaust stacks turn blue/purple if they are not lined and you get them good and hot.

I made one for my tractor, looked really nice until 1/2 way around the field pulling the disk it turned purple. :annoyed:

:icon_rofl:

oops!

I thought about busting out the torch for this after the hole saw failed, especially because it was chilly out and I only had the bed in the garage, the cab was still outside, but I didn't think the hole would turn out clean enough.
Yes, they can be a bit rough on the finishing...but that hole looks plenty big enough for a grinding bit to smooth out...

Ah, well, you succeeded and it's as good as it needs to be...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals