• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to pull 4WABS Codes on 1995+?

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
I'm having issues pulling codes on my 1995 Ranger's 4WABS system. I found a guide saying to ground the light blue/white wire to get flash codes at the instrument cluster light... but it was written for OBD1 4WABS. The same color wire goes to the 4WABS diganostic connection to the controller according to some 1997 schematics I happen to have... which I traced to the OBD2 connector. But grounding it isn't getting me any flashes... just solid ABS light. I thought that 1994 and older used the same controller... which I've since found is not the case (according to rockauto's part compatibility list). Special scanner required?

Other information:

-My ABS was fine prior to some suspension work I did that involved disconnecting the ABS sensors and removing both entire I-beams with the knuckle and sensors still attached. This issue came immediately after re-assembling the suspension this evening.
-The light comes on and stays on immediately on switching to RUN. No vehicle movement required

My conclusion is that more than likely my taped up mess of ABS sensor wiring (jacketing busted from age and use) failed while I had the beam off the car (and managed to bash it around a bit unintentionally. However, I'd prefer to not fire the parts cannon if I can avoid it without dealing with a dealer. At $25-$65 per sensor I'd rather not replace them if I don't have to.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals