• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to replace starter bushings?

1984ranger28

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
Hi, today I am going to be replacing the drive gear, bushing, and brushes in my starter. There is about an 1/8" amount of play in the shaft. I havent had the starter apart yet, but it appears the bushing in the end cap cant be pulled or hammered out. Whats the best way of getting this out? Thanks, Lucas.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Find or make a wood dowel that will barely fit into where the bushing is. Then fill the empty bushing area with grease and tap the dowel in. The grease will force the bushing out. This is the same way I use to remove crankshaft end bushing/bearings.

1984ranger28

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply, I was able to get the bushing out with a socket and grease. I got the starter back in, but now it makes a TERRIBLE grinding noise. The engine will start, but the starter does not sound good.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Pull the starter and bench test it. You can/should be able to turn the shaft from the toothed gear with some effort. It should turn smooth. Also could put battery power to it with starter cables. If it still turns smooth I would suspect improper installation [somehow]. Might as well take it to a parts place and get them to test it too.

1984ranger28

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
Figured out the problem. The new bendix gear has the same amount of teeth, but not the same diameter. So I put the used bendix gear on
Now it starts perfect, except for a sound that makes me believe the old bendix gear is sticking to the fly wheel. This only last 2 seconds. I did put grease on the splines for the bendix gear. Any ideas?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for the update. I didn't know about different diameter gears.
I don't know why the over running clutch drive [bendix is chev...but is quicker to write and remember] is sticking, sorry.

1984ranger28

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
Finally found the problem since I had work off today. 4 out of the 6 bolts holding the bellhousing to the engine were loose, almost ready to fall out. I found the problem when I took the starter out for the fifth time and the entire bell housing moved side to side. I just hope my pilot bearing isn't destroyed lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals