• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

hydrogen

user111

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I built me a one and tried it, I used stainless steel threaded rods and the acid, to make hydrogen gas, it makes hydrogen and oxygen pure, Some put in check valves but hydrogen burns so fast it would get past the check valve before it could close.
There is the problem of corrosion to engine with the acid used. As it will carry over
into engine even if use a bubbler, And the there is the problem of water carry over to
This was going strong for awhile on a yahoo group I was on until the corrosion problem became known,
Maybe something like a scrubber on a power plant would remove the acid before it reached the engine. Or use more metal and a weaker acid solution.

Even small water can damage valves, I damaged mine years ago trying this water injection thing that was hot for awhile, just running water vapor in a vacuum line to the engine. At that time they used the example of airplanes using it.

Hydrogen is very dangerous and burns much faster than gas
Unless they have something I remove the acid from the gas going to the engine
I would never use it,

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I built a hydrogen cell a few years ago. Spent a lot of time on it actually. I turned it on for just a few seconds, and then decided I.wanted to see if it was actually doing much. Soooo, I put a lighter to the output. Never saw the cell again.... and my ears hurt for a couple of hours. I didn't realize how explosive it is.

Now I know. That was an experience I will never forget. I should have known, because years ago I had a car battery blow up right next to me. Scary situations.

Sent from a Commodore 64 using a 300 baud modem

marauderx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
We have melted a few down

The theory, as I understand it, is to use the little bit of hydrogen to burn hotter in small amounts to burn fuel more completely. My ranger hated it, but I did not go all out on it either. But I learned to make a bad flipping source for a hydrogen torch.
If you have one, and want to light the output, take the hose, put a weight on the end and sink it in a 5 gal bucket filled with water, and then place a funnel, point up, above it to gather gas, Turn on the generator, use a striker, and watch that funnel try to jump out of the water. pretty neat!

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I built a hydrogen cell a few years ago. Spent a lot of time on it actually. I turned it on for just a few seconds, and then decided I.wanted to see if it was actually doing much. Soooo, I put a lighter to the output. Never saw the cell again.... and my ears hurt for a couple of hours. I didn't realize how explosive it is.

Now I know. That was an experience I will never forget. I should have known, because years ago I had a car battery blow up right next to me. Scary situations.

Sent from a Commodore 64 using a 300 baud modem
FYI, the proper way of testing a hydrogen cell is to fill a glass with water and dish soap. Submerge the hose, collect the bubbles with a long spoon, and light with one of those long grill lighters. It's still extremely loud, but really no worse then a large caliber handgun or a M80.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

notaprob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I built 5 different models roughly two years ago. I still have all of them. Before I hooked it up to my ranger, I was getting 13 mpg on a 2.3 4x4. It jumped to 17-18mpg within the first week of installing it. The truck din`t tick anymore and it idled much better. After I took it off I it gained another 1-2 more mpg. After doing a lot of research, I found out that it draws the amps down so much that it make your engine work harder and the amount of energy that the hydrogen produces is not enough to come at least even with the hydrogen cell hooked up. Its a great idea, but it would work if the hydrogen was made by something other than the vehicle that is burning it.

Jasper_S

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The so-called water fuel, also known as Hydrogen Hybrid Kit has been a hot topic. This is efficient on saving gas. It also works on trucks and SUV. Using this method, you can save money and at the same time it helps you increase your gas mileage.

kngfdrgn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 94, 95, 95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hydrogen Generators are not going to help you gain any decent mpg. In fact on most modern stock vehicles using an HHO will hurt mpg because of all the extra Oxygen being dumped into the exhaust system. The O2 sensor will measure that extra Oxygen and tell the ECU that it needs to dump more fuel. I'm not saying it's impossible for you to get some MPG gains, just that it is a hit or miss thing. In order to get a decent cost/gain ratio you would have to build a complete system around the HHO. That means the engine, the sensors, and even the ECU would have to be custom built and tuned for use with that HHO. I don't know about anyone else but I definitely don't have the time, funds, or technology of a NASCAR race team. Before anyone starts to flame me what I just said is cold hard scientific fact. I do in fact know my stuff when it comes to chemistry and technology. I'm currently pursuing a PhD of CSI with a major in space sciences and computational astrophysics and a minor in computational materials and physical chemistry. For those of you that don't know that means I am going to school to be an engineer for NASA. So I guess it's time to get to my point. If no one in my field can make a cost effective way to get a hydrogen fuel source to work why on earth would you believe some guy who is selling stuff he made out back in grandma's shed did?

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i might also add that hydrogen, by itself, is not a viable fuel source as a replacement to gasoline.

sure, it burns clean and all that jazz, but where does it come from?

it is synthesized from natural gas at extremely high temperatures, 700-1100'C

OR, liberated from water through electrolysis.

both are extremely energy intensive, and of course, every step along the way, converting energy from one form to another, incurs huge losses.

you are either using fossil fuel, in which case you are better off to just bottle and burn the natural gas in your vehicle anyhow, OR huge amounts of electricity to create the hydrogen. Neither is a good solution

oh yeah, I almost forgot: Hindenburg anyone?

(ok that was half a joke, gasoline is really flammable too, I know)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals