• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I beam to A arm swap

Blkdragonrising90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger Xlt
Transmission
Manual
So just to be clear im actually aiming to do two conversions with two things to be kept in mind.
I absolutely hate the I Beam suspension style.
Im building this truck to be low, comfortable enough for long rides and frankly its going to be hurled around a track at drift events.

So with that said. I have a single cab 04 that had a blown motor and trans im thinking of pulling the front suspension off of. ( by pulling i mean oxy/map torching a huge fuckin segment out.)

then id like to weld in a pair of 1/4in steel reinforcements onto the shock mount and make it a coilover setup.

Being a welder and having the ability to do about 90% of the work with confidence Vs paying a shop to cut and mod two trucks?
Weigh in boys.

Ive already got near a 5in rear drop from the explorer rear end swap. Working on a dual caliper setup for the rear discs & a hydraulic big-boi e-brake is on the list.

Attachments

Blkdragonrising90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger Xlt
Transmission
Manual
I guess i forgot to mention my build truck is a 97 ranger xlt. 2.3 manual trans. ( building a spare motor for boost. ;} )

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would do it.
Might be easier to swap bodies?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Assuming you have the same body configuration on both trucks just swapping bodies and the rear axle, would be about 1/100th of the effort.

Blkdragonrising90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger Xlt
Transmission
Manual
Negative on that one. The newer truck is a single cab ( the only reason i didn't fix it.)
My drivable truck is an ext cab.
Assuming you have the same body configuration on both trucks just swapping bodies and the rear axle, would be about 1/100th of the effort.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
search for info on Crown Vic front clip swaps.

and try this for inspiration:

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
What about a 1983-1997 Ford Ranger long bed (113.9" wheelbase) on a 2003-2011 Ford Crown Vic frame (114" wheelbase)? This swap has become popular with 1966-1972 Ford F100 short beds.

Locotomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1986
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6inch custom fab lift/86
Total Drop
Bagged 3 inch custom drop beams 88/89 Custom triangulated and step notched rear
Tire Size
35/12.5/r18
My credo
Everything looks better lower
So just to be clear im actually aiming to do two conversions with two things to be kept in mind.
I absolutely hate the I Beam suspension style.
Im building this truck to be low, comfortable enough for long rides and frankly its going to be hurled around a track at drift events.

So with that said. I have a single cab 04 that had a blown motor and trans im thinking of pulling the front suspension off of. ( by pulling i mean oxy/map torching a huge fuckin segment out.)

then id like to weld in a pair of 1/4in steel reinforcements onto the shock mount and make it a coilover setup.

Being a welder and having the ability to do about 90% of the work with confidence Vs paying a shop to cut and mod two trucks?
Weigh in boys.

Ive already got near a 5in rear drop from the explorer rear end swap. Working on a dual caliper setup for the rear discs & a hydraulic big-boi e-brake is on the list.
IMG_0066.JPG
IMG_0033.JPG

This thing drives amazingly on the freeway. Its bagged on Ibeams and the only thing keeping me from going lower is the frame. Which will soon be modified. But I have to say, The rear triangulated 4 link I fabed in rides better than I would of imagined. It rides better than It did stock for sure.

Gregin30655

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger GT
Transmission
Manual
View attachment 54084View attachment 54083
This thing drives amazingly on the freeway. Its bagged on Ibeams and the only thing keeping me from going lower is the frame. Which will soon be modified. But I have to say, The rear triangulated 4 link I fabed in rides better than I would of imagined. It rides better than It did stock for sure.
Any more pics of the 4 link? I have ricks rangerz parts to bag my beams too, did you pie cut your beams to help with camber any?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals