• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I bought a High Rider...

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I will post up more info concerning shocks, drop radius arm bracket, sway bar, springs, and bump stops once I get everything cleaned up. This truck is unbelievably filthy underneath and everything is getting run through the parts washer before I can take good pics.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Let's talk radius arm drop brackets now. As you can see, the high rider one has an additional block plus the plate. It is welded to the radius arm crossmember in several places as you can see. The crossmember itself is identical to a normal truck's part.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Also, here are some pics of the driver's side beam drop bracket. It bolts up perfectly to my Explorer frame with two exceptions - I needed to clearance a spot on the bottom of the frame about 1/8", and I had to drill one hole in the side of the frame as shown for the extra tab.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Here is a spring comparison. As you can see, unsprung lengths vary... compressed at ride height is another story. The red aftermarket coils actually compress down to the same height as the Explorer springs, even though they're the same unsprung length as the STX coils. Interesting.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The red coil has an extra wrap compared to the stx coil. That means it's longer if straightened out and will act like a longer spring ie; have more give [less *ppi] . The black explorer spring has an extra wrap, but also is a progressive spring. So as it collapses the coils start touching making it act like a shorter spring ie; less give [more ppi]. It would be interesting to know what the motor was/is for each spring.

*Pounds Per Inch

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0, 4.0, 2.9, 2.9, 2.9. These all came out of trucks I either disassembled and changed suspension parts in or scrapped. The red ones came out of a 1991 Ranger, extended cab 2.9 auto 4x4. No idea what brand they are, obviously aftermarket.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
And now for sway bars!

Pictured on top is the STX sway bar, and on bottom is one from a 1992 Explorer. Unfortunately I do not have a Ranger sway bar to compare with, but as you can see, they are quite different. The frame mounts are in a different spot, the height is different, the STX one is a lot bigger but the links are about the same length.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Here is some info from my build thread. Figured I'd put it here for comparison.

Left to right; '87 stx highrider 1.156" OD, '85 B-II .989" OD, '91 stx .901" OD
Measurements were taken where the rubber rides. Also notice the difference in the rubber mounts.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I just want to say kudos to you guys for documenting this information for the rest of us... well done.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Well, this is happening. This truck is currently in disassembly mode. I'm just about ready to pull the engine, trans and t-case and have spent the last couple weeks prepping my spare frame. I put a D35 in the front which received a complete disassembly, new bushings, brakes, u-joints and springs. This truck is going to end up with a 4.0, M5OD, 2nd gen dash and some other goodies. I think I'm going to keep the 7.5 in the rear since it has a limited slip and 3.73's to match the front. Torn on what transfer case to use - I have a manual 1354 but it's my spare and I'm not sure I want to burn it on this truck...so it may get an electric shift instead... or possibly a manual 1350.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Engine and trans are out.

@PetroleumJunkie412, need a motor?

This little guy is read to be dropped in - it'll never again be 2.9 powered.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Mmmmm 4.0 power!

Blue valve covers look great! (y)

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Latest progress - Cab and bed are sitting on the new frame. Bent high rider frame was cut up and scrapped yesterday. I'm doing some axle swaps on my pickup box trailer collection, it's a complicated situation:

Pickup box trailer #1 has my old horribly rusty red box on it and a good 7.5 axle. Will be getting this blue box intalled and a junk 7.5
Pickup box trailer #2 has a decent box that will be going on the stepside truck, axle from here is going under #1, and will be receiving a junk 8.8
High rider truck now has the junk 8.8 that will be going in #2 and will eventually retain its original 7.5 w/ trac lock diff and the stepside box
Stepside truck will get the box off trailer #2

So the ultimate goal is an ex high rider truck on a 92 frame with a stepside box, 1992 4.0, 1991 M5OD, 1991 harness/dash, 1994 Dana 35 w/ ABS removal.

Here's my method of moving cabs/boxes. Works good. It is a 24v battery powered ceiling lift originally used for lifting people out of wheelchairs. Rated at 600lbs and picked up my cab with no hesitation. Very handy.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
My entire body aches, I had to get stitches in my finger after I dropped an axle on it and my shop is an absolute disaster but the stepside box is on my high rider truck chassis now. :D

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I took roughly a month off from this project to fix up an Explorer that had a bad trans but that's done now so I'm back on this truck. My plan from the get go was to use a 2nd gen dash, complete wiring harness and steering column. That also involves a 2nd gen pedal assembly. Well, that's all fine and dandy, except the firewall is different. The steering columns are totally different. Fortunately, the firewall is reinforced there with a spot welded plate that can be removed... so I did that and cut the steering column hole bigger. I also welded in the round hole for the wiring harness cannon plug - the original hole probably would have worked, but it was slightly larger, so I went ahead and did this part too.

First... pardon the mess... but this is what it looks like now:

The firewall area that needs attention - plate is already removed:

Note the differences:

Inside view, after plate was reattached with rivets:

Under hood view. I used caulk to seal it up somewhat, just what I had on hand. It'll get painted black.

Closeup of the cannon plug hole - note the size and the locating tab.

I am slowly making progress. To say this is a big project is an understatement - it has been quite frustrating, actually, running into these weird little things that just 100% have to be done in order for everything to work. One more reason why I like 2nd gen trucks better... but... the end result will be worth it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals